Legal Action Worldwide
LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa, and South Asia. We focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, rule of law and accountability, transformative justice, and natural resource exploitation, working to bring justice to those who need it most.
LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in Reuters, the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
LAW is seeking a dedicated person to join our Finance team as the Accounting & Administration Officer with optimism, good humour, and problem-solving orientation. The ideal candidate will be able to assist the Head of Finance by providing support on financial operations i.e. the regular, transactional finance activity and ad ’hoc support on the yearly statutory audit and consolidation processes. Overall purpose of the role is to ensure an efficient and effective accounting for Geneva HQ as well as for other LAW entities based overseas. This position will also provide HR administration support for Geneva based staff.
- Reports to: Head of Finance
- Duration: Open ended contract
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Hours: 20/24h per week – Flexible between 50% to 60%
Role Overview and Responsibility:
To ensure an efficient and effective accounting records and systems for the Geneva HQ and other LAW entities based globally in collaboration with the Country Financial Managers. The post holder will support the Head of Finance including the yearly statutory audit and consolidation process. S/he will also be the focal person to provide HR administration support for the Geneva office and staff. The post holder will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below:
Process timely Geneva financial transactions including receipts, payments, payroll and recording transactions related to LAW entities;
- Monitor incoming invoices and expense claims and make sure these are completed accurately;
- Ensure accurate data entry into the Navision financial accounting system for month end closing and prepare and post journals in a timely manner with accuracy;
- Prepare payments and uploading payment online for validation and approval;
- Reconcile invoices and payment with appropriate following up book-keeping;
- Manage the month-end closing tasks, including inter-company accounts (bank reconciliations, rebooking of invoices etc with other LAW entities in collaboration with the Country Finance Managers);
- Ensure compliance with accounting principles, regulatory requirements concerning staff, suppliers, the authorities and institutional donors;
- Support the Head of Finance to ensure financial policies and procedures are embedded across the organization, devising toolkits, coaching and building staff capacity;
- Support the finance team with preparation of end of year statutory audits, and any other audits;
- Support the Country Finance Managers on ad hoc basis with donor reporting, partner training and budget follow-ups;
Human Resources Administration
- Provide HR support for staff based in Geneva: maintaining personal files, monitoring annual leaves, assist with work permits;
- Ensure the Geneva monthly payrolls and social contributions ae are updated and accurate in collaboration with the payroll company;
- Ensure the finance inductions and onboarding processes are delivered for all new starters;
- Registering employees to social insurances and focal point of contact for all administrative matters.
- First point of contact managing office suppliers and ensure utility bills are received and paid on time;
- Ensure office stationery and equipment requirements are purchased as and when required;
- Follow payment authorisation and handle suppliers and vendors’ queries;
- Organize and maintain the office including common areas;
- Maintain inventory of office equipment and assets including laptops, and mobiles for the Geneva office;
- Maintain contact with the letting agent in relation to any building management issues.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Accounting and Business Administration;
- 4 years demonstrated experience working in a similar role; finance operations within an INGO;
- Track record of strong accounting skills, including management of general ledger, journal entries, payrolls, and balance sheet, and internal controls;
- Knowledge of analytical accounting and SWISS GAAP RPC 21 knowledge;
- Knowledge of institutional donors;
- Experience in HR administration and knowledge of Swiss Labour Law legal requirements;
- Knowledge of ERP Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision)
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English and French;
- Ability to work effectively as part of multicultural team;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work under pressure with short deadlines and manage priorities.
- Ability to work both independently and in a consultative and collaboration manner.
LAW is currently looking for an ambitious individual who has a track record of being commitment to human rights. If you have the right experience and skills to support finance operations, we would like to hear from you.
Please send an email with a CV and covering letter in English outlining how your skills and experience match the role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: Saussereau@legalactionworldwide.org. The subject of the application should read “Accounting & Administrative Officer”.
Deadline for applications: This position is on rolling basis - LAW will be scheduling interviews as the applications come in; therefore, to avoid any disappointment please apply early and no later than 1st May 2022 (midnight Geneva time)
Start date: Immediate start
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the criteria will be invited for interviews. LAW is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website.