DCAF – Center for Security Sector Governance
DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, respect for human rights, and gender equality. Since its founding in 2000, DCAF has contributed to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states, and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF’s Foundation Council members represent over 50 countries and the Canton of Geneva. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information visit www.dcaf.ch and follow us on Twitter @DCAF_Geneva.
The nature of DCAF’s activities necessitate that our staff may work in locations with higher security risk environments. Security risk results from incidents which threaten the well-being of DCAF staff or the integrity of DCAF facilities and staff residences. Such incidents may ensue from incidents stemming from armed conflict, terrorism, civil disturbance, crime and natural hazard.
We are looking for a professionally qualified individual to be our next Security Manager (100%)
- Location: Geneva
- Starting date: asap
- Duration: permanent
The Security Manager will report to the Head of the Operations Department in his Director-designated role of lead for the DCAF security management system. She/he will provide security services to all DCAF entities in order to enable their programmes, projects and activities. This is a newly created position.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND RELATED ACTIVITIES
- Supervising the work of DCAF Security Unit.
- Developing Security policies, guidance and procedures in collaboration with Heads of Departments through their focal points for security.
- Advising and informing the Head of Operations Department on all matters related to the security of DCAF.
- Advising Heads of Departments and Divisions on the implementation of and compliance with DCAF security policies, guidance and procedures in their respective activities.
- Producing DCAF Security Risk Assessments and Management reports at headquarters and in the field.
- Provide support and advice to DCAFs Crisis Management system and team.
- Conducting security, field occupational safety and crisis management education and training needs assessments, developing required education and training courses and materials and delivering education and training at headquarters and in the field.
- Coordinating with the Resources Department for required security and safety personnel, financial and material resources.
- Maintaining a security technical line of communications to DCAF Offices and, as required, other DCAF field activities.
- Build network of security personnel from other organisations to maintain DCAF knowledge of the changing security and safety environment in HQ and the field.
- As directed by the Head of Operations Department, deploying to provide surge security support to DCAF Offices and other field activities.
- Participating in the recruitment of all DCAF security personnel both at headquarters and in the DCAF Offices.
- Serve as the DCAF Headquarter fire marshal.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant experience in progressively increased positions of responsibility. Relevant experience includes security-related experience in international organisations, the NGO sector, the military, police or commercial sectors.
- A minimum of 3 years of providing security services in field operations of international, inter- governmental and/or international non-government or private organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in producing organizational policies, directives, guidance and operational procedures.
- Proven experience in crisis management.
- Successful experience in producing and delivering security-related education and training.
- An advanced degree or equivalent in security management, business administration, political/social science, international relations or related fields.
- Fluency in the English and French languages.
- Experience with the United Nations security management system is an advantage.
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is preferable
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience.
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people.
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights.
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please apply online by Friday 19 August 2022 at https://dcaf-flexperso.ch, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience (focus on policy production, security, crisis management, safety) and what you can bring to DCAF.
- a concise CV (maximum two pages).
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed or been convicted of any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.