The Gold Standard Foundation
The Finance Officer primarily supports the CFO in bookkeeping and accounting tasks. This is a maternity leave cover position and a opportunity to join a growing team. Job position based in Geneva, Switzerland.
WHAT WE DO
Gold Standard is a standards body and thought leader that promotes the best that can be achieved in climate and development projects. It was established in 2003 by WWF and other international NGOs as a best practice standard to ensure projects that reduced carbon emissions under the UN’s Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) also delivered sustainable development benefits. Today, our standard, ‘Gold Standard for the Global Goals’, allows climate and development initiatives within carbon markets, corporate supply chains, and sustainable finance to manage, measure and maximise their impacts toward the Net Zero ambition of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals. Certification against the standard provides the confidence that these results are measured and verified, enabling credible impact reporting. ISEAL Code Compliant and backed by a broad NGO Supporter Network, Gold Standard has 2000+ projects underway in over 90 countries, creating billions of dollars of shared value from climate and development action worldwide.
For almost 20 years, Gold Standard has shown how carbon finance can achieve its highest potential. We’ve created innovative new standards, programmes and tools that raise the bar for quality across a broader range of applications than carbon markets. We focus on those that have the most promise to contribute to our vision and mission, bringing them to market with the requisite planning and resources.
We build on our reputation for quality and rigour with more robust measurement of outcomes, stronger safeguards and greater impact across the Sustainable Development Goals. Our objective is to make rigour simpler and more achievable at scale.
We work with key partners who share our goals and complement our strengths. Our partnership strategy aims to move beyond working opportunistically as a delivery partner in favor of collaborating in long-term strategic synergy.
We were established to bring confidence, trust, and accountability to carbon markets. We will continue to take strides to improve transparency in our own processes, in the broader market and in non-market mechanisms.
The Gold Standard Foundation is looking to build our team with exceptional people who are excited and driven to shape and deliver this ambition and uphold our values. We are now seeking a Finance Officer for a 12 month fixed term contract.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
Bookkeeping and Accounting:
- Managing outgoing/incoming payments and process daily journal entries accordingly
- Ensuring accuracy of bookkeeping entries and the correct application of VAT rates
- Preparing and executing payments to vendors
- Keeping the vendor contact list up-to-date
- Maintaining the organisation’s Chart of Accounts and manage all accounting archives
- Preparing quarterly VAT returns for Geneva tax authorities by reconciling VAT GL accounts
- Preparing month-end closing by reconciling bank statements and bookkeeping entries
- Preparing quarterly reconciliation for the project marketplace transactions and related transactions to project owners
- Assisting with year-end closing and with preparations for the annual audit
- Assisting with preparation of the donor reports and donor audits when required
- Interacting with tax authorities, insurance companies and federal foundation supervisory authority
- Processing the monthly payroll for all employees, including expenses, pension fund and social security contributions: managing an online payroll system for Swiss based employees, coordinating with external payroll services for internationally based employees to ensure accuracy of all required information and individual deductions
- Collecting and managing staff expense reports and ensuring everyone’s compliance with internal travel policy
- Providing periodic HR cost report, maintaining and updating employee payroll files
YOU WILL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- A Professional Degree (CFC) or Bachelor degree in Business, Finance or Accounting
- At least 4 years of experience as a bookkeeper or finance officer in a fast-moving office environment
- Strong analytical skills, experience with Swiss GAAP a plus
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Enthusiasm for making efficiency improvements to existing processes
- Outstanding and demonstrated stakeholder management skills
- An organised and pragmatic approach to work
- Ability to work independently and to deadlines
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French
- Solid skills in the use of MS Office programs and general aptitude for the use of IT systems
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the environment or sustainable development a plus
WHAT WE OFFER:
The salary range for this role will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Other benefits to working at Gold Standard include:
- A mission-driven organisation working at the leading edge of climate and sustainability
- Rewarding work in a dynamic non-profit environment
- A collaborative workplace within a multicultural team
- An ambitious, agile and flexible environment
Position is open until filled and successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Please submit a 1-page cover letter explaining why you want to work for the Gold Standard and a CV through our recruitment portal.
Gold Standard provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We are dedicated to an inclusive culture and we strive to create a workplace where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.