Legal Action Worldwide
LAW is an independent, non-profit organisation comprised of human rights lawyers and jurists working in fragile and conflict affected areas in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. LAW has a particular focus on gender equality and sexual and gender-based violence, the rule of law and accountability and transformative justice - working to bring justice to those who need it most. LAW’s portfolio includes multiple ground-breaking cases, which utilise creative legal strategies on behalf of victims and survivors from some of the most challenging contexts, representing more than 1000 clients. LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, BBC News, France24, The Independent, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
LAW seeks a Legal Advisor to work on its new Myanmar Programme. The Legal Advisor will play a central role in LAW’s exciting new programme focused on documentation of conflict-related sexual violence, and other serious human rights violations and international crimes on Myanmar. This programme will work closely with international and local partners to investigate military conduct perpetrated against the country’s minority communities, as well as conduct against the Burmese ethnic majority since the 2021 unlawful military coup d’etat. Working closely with the Myanmar Programme Manager, as well as a number of partner organisations, the successful candidate will develop and implement high quality research and capacity building activities utilising a survivor-centred approach.
- Where? The position will be based in Geneva, Switzerland, or (residence permitting) Bangkok, Thailand. This position is funded on a full-time basis on a 12-month Contract. Extension is possible subject to funding.
- Salary: Competitive salary and rates apply.
- Role Overview and Responsibility: To work closely with the Programme Manager in supporting the delivery of the project in the region, leading on providing high quality legal research, and strengthening implementation of evidence-based interventions and to develop advocacy. The Legal Advisor will perform duties in accordance with the responsibilities outlined below.
Support engagement with key actors including national and international civil society, UN bodies (including the Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in Myanmar and the Independent Investigative Mechanism on Myanmar);
- Coordinate the delivery of LAW’s work in the field, ensuring high quality programming and robust monitoring and evaluation methodologies (including through engagement with external monitoring and evaluation);
- Develop and implement of a capacity-building strategy for grassroots actors in Myanmar;
- Ensure LAW’s engagement with survivors of gender-based violence, including where this is undertaken through partners, consistently adopts a survivor-centred approach;
- Support LAW’s advocacy strategy and design products that can be shared with both internal and external stakeholders, based on evidence gathered from the programmes;
- Ensure high-quality legal advice where required, through engagement with senior international lawyers and law firms;
- Conduct research, legal advocacy efforts and identify strategic cases and other legal interventions;
- Track legal, political and security developments related to Myanmar and Southeast Asia;
- Coordinate with LAW’s Myanmar Programme Manager, Senior Management Team, and other Legal Advisors as needed:
- Draft donor reports and proposals as required and identify funding opportunities.
Advocacy and Communications:
- Support the development of the profile and visibility of the programme;
- Maintain engagement with local NGO and relevant international (UN, ASEAN) bodies and participate in coordination mechanisms at a regional and international level;
- Ensure that website and social media content related to the programme is up-to-date and engaging;
- Contribute to LAW’s advocacy tools, including factsheets and annual reporting.
- Develop and implement a high-level advocacy strategy in line with global priorities that engages national, regional institutions and the international community.
Any other duties as specified by management
- A degree in law or in human rights law, criminal law or refugee law;
- Demonstrated 3 years’ experience international humanitarian law, human rights law, justice and accountability, criminal law, or refugee law, (experience working on a South or Southeast Asian context is desirable);
- Demonstrated experience working with survivors of sexual and gender-based violence (preferably 3 years’ experience interviewing survivors of sexual and gender-based violence)
- Experience delivering trainings/ capacity building to grassroots actors (preferably on legal topics, or relating to legal skills such as documentation or drafting);
- 3 years demonstrated track record of conducting successful research and drafting skills;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English (experience in Burmese or another language used in Myanmar is desirable);
- Flexibility and ability to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and meeting tight deadlines;
- Excellent organisational skills and analytical skills with attention to detail;
- Building excellent relationship skills both internally and externally with key stakeholders;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (word, excel, powerpoint, outlook)
HOW TO APPLY
The closing date for applications is 14 October 2022.
Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining how your previous experience and skills match this role (neither exceeding 2 pages of A4) to: email@example.com. The heading of the application should read ‘Legal Advisor Myanmar ’
At LAW we are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues reflecting the people and communities that we represent and support. Our team includes many nationalities with diverse professional backgrounds, skills and knowledge. This enables us to deliver and understand the cultural and political contexts on the ground and to tailor our support effectively and appropriately. Women with experience representing at-risk clients are particularly encouraged to apply.
To learn more about LAW please visit our website: www.legalactionworldwide.org.