- Location: Any MSF office
- Contract: Fixed term contract
- Duration: 10 months
- Starting date: 7st December
- Deadline to apply: 16 October 2022
*By default, the successful candidate will be offered a contract in the MSF office of their country of residence at the time of application.
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 24 sections, 25 associations and other offices together. Registered in Switzerland, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
The International Legal Department (ILD) is currently the only intersectional department of MSF; Dedicated to support MSF operations, the ILD rationalises legal support and provides high-level legal advice to all entities (OCs, MSF International and MSF Satellites) ; its field of expertise is varied, including IHL, registration, MOU, taxes, medico-legal issues, medical research, labour law, commercial law, trademarks and international governance, etc.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
The ILD is divided in several Units according the expertise of law.
Unit 4 “Legal and Administrative framework of mission” aims to improve/secure the effective administrative & legal frameworks of field operations and the relationship with third parties, as well as analyse and address field legal administrative constraints and litigation including the identification and management of legal and institutional risk.
In the context of a maternity leave, the Unit 4 Manager is temporarily leaving her position.
A partial and temporary replacement position is therefore opened and dedicated to support the all Operational Centres regarding legal issues linked to administrative framework of missions, which includes following activities: registration/license, framework MOUs, supply (administrative constraints and regulation), taxes and finance.
The SHIELD project will be managed by the ILD director or on her delegation.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Project Manager “Administrative framework of missions” is part of the Unit 4 within the ILD and He/she reports to the ILD director.
He/she works closely with the Project Manager “Commercial/contractual framework of mission” to co-manage and co-lead the Unit 4 team with the support of the ILD Resources Manager.
The Project Manager “Administrative framework of missions” also works closely with key staff in all Operational Centres of MSF linked to the activities he/she will supervised.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The objectives of the position are to provide general legal support, advice and guidance to the OCs (HQ and field teams) with regards to registration/license, framework MOUs, supply (administrative constraints and regulation), taxes and finance, as well as to support the OC legal advisors within the ILD.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide general legal support, advice and guidance at intersectional and OC levels on issues regarding its perimeter of activities;
- Alert the ILD director regarding challenges and obstacles in the implementation of the strategies and provide solutions;
- Guarantee the elaboration and implementation of legal strategy in its domain of activities;
- Contribute to the coherence and synergy between its domain activities and those managed by the Project Manager Commercial/contractual framework of mission;
- Ensure the development and implementation of tools in support of the desks, field teams and HQ teams (template, guidelines, memos, etc.)
- Lead and be a force of proposal in the implementation of legal projects;
- Actively participate to appropriate MSF platforms in link with his/her domain of activities (working groups, steering committees…);
- Recruit, manage, advise, support, federate the team and develop the skills of the legal advisors within Unit 4, in close collaboration with the other Unit 4 Project manager;
- Ensure the team's contribution to cross-units and intersection projects;
- Train the desks and field teams of the different OCs in its areas of expertise.
- Qualified lawyer in commercial/business law (at least Master degree)
- Experience (more than 5 years) in administrative matter in the humanitarian/private sector at international level.
- MSF or humanitarian experience is a clear asset
- Rigor and ability to adapt to different legal systems, sense of priorities and of organization;
- Solution-oriented and ability to translate an operational negotiation in legal language;
- Strong ability to manage and federate multicultural team, and very good communication skills;
- Capacity for autonomy and force of proposition;
- French and English speaking.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics