Action for Development
About Action for Development (AfD)
Action for Development is an NGO with offices in Geneva Switzerland and Kabul Afghanistan. AfD aims to ensure that funding for health and community development programs is spent in ways that maximize its impact, partnering with local organizations at the grassroots level. The main focus areas of our programs are strategic health facilities management, maternal, neonatal, and child health services expansion, family planning, water, sanitation and hygiene, women's empowerment, capacity building, and education. In 2014, AfD was granted consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Responsibilities of the Communications Officer
AfD is seeking a committed person who can provide support with advocacy & communication tasks on a voluntary basis. The ideal candidate shall have a background in media & communications, journalism, or development communication. They should also have a familiarity with Swiss rules and regulations and have some knowledge of the local environment.
- Prepare communication material such as annual reports and quarterly newsletters;
- Regularly update content for the English/French websites;
- Draft funding proposals;
- Develop communication material for external partners and donors;
- Promote AfD’s image on social media platforms with daily posts and run online fundraising campaigns in support of AfD’s programs;
- Maintain a record of all communication material on AfD’s communication shared drive, particularly photos;
- Draft web stories and liaise with the team in Kabul to receive regular updates, stories, and photos;
- Establish partnerships with other non-profit organizations, possible donors, UN agencies, international organizations, etc. with the aim of promoting AfD’s image;
- Manage campaigns on the Global Giving online platform, including drafting reports to be submitted on a quarterly basis;
- Promote AfD’s image with participation in events (live or online) marking international events and campaigns (e.g.: International Women’s Day, Breastfeeding Week, World Refugee Day, Youth Day, Giving Tuesday, etc.)
- Assist the Program Director and the Health/Education units with tasks related to communication.
- Degree or studying in any of the following relevant areas: Business, Marketing, Communications
- Fluent in English both written and spoken. French would be an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail-orientated good organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Candidates with work experience within NGO procedures will be preferable.
Terms of the Contract:
- Please note that this is an unpaid part-time volunteer position
- Time Commitment: minimum of day per week, hybrid working (office and remotely). The candidate should ideally be based in Geneva.
- AfD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for this opportunity without regard to age, color, religion, gender, and origin