Action for Development
About Action for Development (AfD)
Action for Development is an NGO with offices in Geneva Switzerland and Kabul Afghanistan. AfD aims to ensure that funding for health and community development programs are spent in ways that maximize its impact, partnering with local organizations at the grassroots level. The focus areas of our programs are strategic health facilities management, maternal, neonatal, and child health services expansion, family planning, water, sanitation and hygiene, women's empowerment, capacity building, and education. In 2014, AfD was granted consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Responsibilities of the WordPress Specialist
The role of the WordPress specialist is to design, implement and manage websites using WordPress, a free, open-source content management system while gaining experience to develop and initiate creative ideas that will help grow the web division of the organisation. They will be responsible for both front-end and back-end development-everything from plug-ins to security updates and will report directly to the Programme Director. The incumbent will work closely with other team members based in Geneva.
- Contributes and executes ideas on the creative direction of web projects, templates, and functionality
- They are responsible for WordPress training as well as troubleshooting and resolving website problems for clients and co-workers.
- They will take on assignments to maintain and enhance the WordPress environment and work closely with the client to develop requirements and user stories
- They should be willing to learn new processes and technology to broaden their scope of responsibilities and their ability to work independently
- Troubleshoot and resolve application issues, providing diagnostic, and analytical support
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Experience setting up development environments
- Knowledge of security controls
- Working knowledge of Linux
- Working knowledge of AWS Cloud Computing Services
- Ability to develop user stories to address user requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3 to 4 years of development experience with WordPress
- Supported the use of custom WordPress themes and plugin development
- Experience with PHP development and PHP frameworks
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously
- Desire to learn and take on new challenges
Terms of the Contract:
- Please note that this is an unpaid part-time volunteer position
- Time Commitment: minimum of one day per week, either working in the office or remotely. The candidate should ideally be based in Geneva.
- AfD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for this opportunity without regard to age, color, religion, gender, and origin