DCAF – Geneva Center for Security Sector Governance
DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, respect for human rights, and gender equality. Since its founding in 2000, DCAF has contributed to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states, and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF’s Foundation Council members represent over 50 countries and the Canton of Geneva. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information visit www.dcaf.ch and follow us on Twitter @DCAF_Geneva.
For our Sub-Saharan Africa Division, we are seeking a dynamic, organized and creative individual to be our next:
- Financial control officer (100%)
- Location: Geneva
- Starting date: January 2023
- Duration: Permanent
The Finance officer provides essential support to the effective management of the Division’s finances and project grants. Working closely with both the Head of Division, the role requires a firm understanding of DCAF’s financial management practices, donor financial reporting requirements, and the principles of accountable grant management.
- Build and nurture relations with the Finance Unit and keep abreast of DCAF financial policies and procedures;
- Collaborate with their entity's project teams;
- Liaise with field-based colleagues where applicable.
- Ensure the prompt review and processing of entity's and project-related financial transactions;
- Ensure the entity's compliance with all DCAF policies, procedures, rules and regulations related to the management of financial resources;
- Provide comprehensive and up-to-date financial information to project teams;
- Provide finance-related support to the Head of entity, including with annual budgeting and forecasts;
- Monitor project budgets on an ongoing basis; alert the Head of entity of any financial issue
- Requiring management attention;
- Where applicable, ensure coordination over finance-related issues with field-based colleagues;
- Prepare financial reports as needed, and submit changes/corrections to the Finance Unit;
- Follow-up on invoices and other documents as needed; review documentation sent by field offices for accuracy and completeness with the support of the Administrative Officer ;
- Be the focal point for financial audits: monitor compliance, provide information with the support of the Administrative Officer, liaise with Finance Unit and external auditors as required;
- Oversee all stages of the expenses commitment and payment process, with the support of the administrative officer, to ensure compliance with applicable policies and procedures;.
- Work closely with their entity's project teams on drafting applications for grants and budgets, as well as on all aspects of grant management.
- Bachelor (Master a plus) in financial management (management control, cost accounting, internal control and accounting);
- At least five years of professional work experience in accounting and finance, preferably in the field of international development/Not-For Profit Organizations.
- Proven track record in managing externally funded project budgets, producing financial reports for donors and preparing documentation for audits;
- Fluency in English and French;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent financial management and organizational skills;
- Excellent ability to synthesize financial information and to discuss finance with non-financial people
- Excellent ability to work on excel
- Knowledge of Jet Report is a plus
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
- A rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience;
- The chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people;
- The chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights.
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please apply online at https://dcaf-flexperso.ch by 15.12.2022, enclosing:
- A one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF, as well as an indication of your availability
- A concise CV (one page)
- List of 2 references
- Copy of diplomas and work certificates
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed or been convicted of any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.