Action for Development
About Action for Development (AfD)
Action for Development is an NGO with offices in Geneva Switzerland and Kabul Afghanistan. AfD aims to ensure that funding for health and community development programs is spent in ways that maximize its impact, partnering with local organizations at the grassroots level. The main focus areas of our programs are strategic health facilities management, maternal, neonatal, and child health services expansion, family planning, water, sanitation and hygiene, women's empowerment, capacity building, and education. In 2014, AfD was granted consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Responsibilities of the Translator/ Interpreter
AfD is seeking a committed person who can interpret written and audio pieces, making sure to maintain their original meaning, format, and tone. The ideal candidate's responsibilities include reading and thoroughly understanding the context of given material, using specialized dictionaries and transition tools, and proofreading finished pieces of work. To be successful in this role, you should have a keen eye for detail and be fluent in Pashto and Dari. Ultimately, you will provide ready-to-use translated content that meets our internal needs and helps us reach a broader audience.
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology;
- Covert text and audio recordings from Pashto and Dari to English and vice versa;
- Interpret for health and education units as needed;
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone;
- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations;
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling, and punctuation accuracy;
- Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs;
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format,( e.g font and structure);
- Assist the Program Director and the Health/Education units with tasks related to communication.
- Fluent in Pashto/ Dari and English both written and spoken. French would be an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of content editing tools and familiarity with translation software
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors
- Detail orientated, good organizational skills, and the ability to work in a team environment
- Candidates with work experience within NGO procedures will be preferable.
- Certificate or equivalent in Translation, Interpreting, or a similar field- an asset
- Proven work as a Translator, Interpreter, or a similar role- an asset
Terms of the Contract:
Please note that this is an unpaid part-time volunteer position ∙ Time Commitment: minimum of one day per week, hybrid working (office and remotely). The candidate should ideally be based in Geneva. ∙AfD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for this opportunity without regard to age, color, religion, gender, and origin Interested candidates are invited to send applications with CV/resume and letter of motivation to: email@example.com To learn more about AfD, please visit our website: www.actfordev.org