Better Cotton Initiative
Better Cotton is always interested in hearing from talented, globally-minded individuals with a passion for sustainable development. If you enjoy working in a creative, fast-paced environment, then we would love to hear from you!
Starting Date: February or March – we will hold interviews on a rolling basis
Contract type: open ended
Annual Salary: CHF 47’456 (for 80% capacity)
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Application closing date: Midnight 12/02/2023
About Better Cotton
Better Cotton is the world’s largest cotton sustainability programme. Our mission: to help cotton communities survive and thrive, while protecting and restoring the environment. In challenging times, we are meeting the challenge head on. Through our network of field-level partners we have trained over 2.5 million farmers - from the smallest to the largest - in 23 countries in more sustainable farming practices. A quarter of the world’s cotton is now grown under the Better Cotton Standard. We have united the industry’s stakeholders behind our efforts, from ginners and spinners to brand owners, civil society organisations and governments. Everyone who cares about cotton and its sustainable future can now be part of something better.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Administrative Officer.
Global Operations is part of Better Cotton’s Finance & Operations Function guaranteeing high standard services related to office facilities, procurement and contracting, travel and insurances, with a long-term strategy in mind.
Who You Are
A self-starter, used to work in a fast paced, continually evolving environment and as such challenging but simultaneously rewarding, hands-on with a great deal of autonomy and responsibility.
About your role
The Administrative Officer will coordinate and oversee all office activities of the Better Cotton Geneva office to ensure we keep our property clean, efficient and fit for purpose. The Administrative Officer will be first point of contact for internal and external visitors seeking support and information about the Better Cotton Geneva office. The Administrative Officer will provide support to the Global Operations Manager and the Global Operations team.
Areas that play to your strengths
(All the responsibilities we’ll trust you with)
Office and facilities management
- Be the first point of contact for office-related queries and visitors to the Geneva office with the sole purpose of providing an enhanced welcome and office management service.
- Gather and make mail available to every staff member and/or team, flagging any unread urgent/confidential mail to the concerned or his/her manager
- Oversee the maintenance of office facilities and equipment
- Determine the nature and urgency of the repair problem and report the problem to the appropriate vendor and ensure repairs are completed within the timing allotted
- Coordinate and participate in office space planning, maintenance and renovations when necessary and propose ideas for improvement
- Ensure that office facilities are up to date and fit for purpose (catering, external meeting rooms, other relevant resources)
- Liaise with the International Environment House (IEH)’s property management company Foundation for Buildings for International Organisations (FIPOI) for all elements of office access, office space planning and use, restrictions and safety requirements, and ensure all new and visiting staff are fully briefed in this regard
- Develop relevant and improve existing procedures and policies relating to the use of the office, and ensure their adherence
- Lead the Geneva Office Committee in organising bi-yearly events
- Manage the rota & scheduling of team calls on Monday mornings
- Support in the management of IT assets, including purchasing & setting up of equipment, in collaboration with the IT team
- Ensure that the office provides all resources for Geneva staff (equipment to borrow, functioning workstations, etc.)
- Liaise with International Environment House (IEH)’s security staff to coordinate staff access to the cafeteria facilities
- Assist in the onboarding process for new hires in terms of equipment and office space use
- Perform other relevant duties when needed.
- Control the office supplies state and make sure it is in accordance with office needs
- Prospect and establish working relationships with sustainable, preferably local suppliers for office supplies
- Manage relationships with office facilities’ regie and with external service providers (insurance, printer, IT support, handywork, etc.) to insure that the office is well kept and functioning at all times
- Ensure our membership to relevant Geneva-based associations such as the Geneva Environment Network or the CAGI are up-to-date and that our information is updated regularly
- Lead an annual review our suppliers’ value for money
Support to Global Operations team
- Facilitate monthly Finance & Operations meetings (once or twice a year)
- Establish relationships with local hotels and manage visiting staff’s hotel bookings in Geneva
- Maintain up-to-date resources (in English and French) on our insurance package
- Liaise between our insurers and staff to answer queries on what is included or not in our coverages
- Support the organisation of internal and external meetings & workshops for the F&O team
You will need to have
|Skills, Knowledge and Experience|
|· Previous working experience as an Administrative Officer or Office Administrator for 2-3 years at 80% to 100% activity rate|
|· In-depth knowledge of Swiss Occupational Health and Safety legislation.|
|· Good command of Microsoft 365 package: Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint|
|· Fluency in French (C1) and proficiency in English (B2)|
|· Evidence of picking up IT systems quickly|
|· Interest in and commitment to sustainability|
We’d Love to See
- A team player with a positive 'can-do' attitude.
- A highly organized person with excellent attention to detail and comfortable handling confidential information
- Ability to multi-task and meet simultaneous tight deadlines
- A result driven person with strong initiative
- Energy and enthusiasm – has a sense of urgency
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and time management skills with the ability to quickly build effective relationships
- Ability to travel
The position is part-time (32 hours per week, 80%) and will be based in the Geneva office, with attendance required over 4 days per week given the nature of this role. You are a Swiss/EU citizen or in possession of a valid work permit for Switzerland.
Better Cotton offers flexible working, with core hours being 10am – 4pm. Travel might be required on occasional basis.
What makes us different?
- The chance to contribute to transforming the cotton sector and helping cotton communities survive and thrive, while protecting and restoring the environment
- A flexible work environment with colleagues from 14 countries
- The opportunity to become part of a growing organisation that pushes you to excel every day while having a positive impact on others and on the planet
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Send us by or before 12/02/2023 a detailed CV in English and a brief cover letter (2 pages maximum) via this link. In your cover letter, please include an explanation of why your experience is specifically relevant to this role at Better Cotton. We want to see your personal style – what makes you tick and why you think your next opportunity is here with us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Better Cotton is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to good practice and transparency in the management of natural, human, and financial resources.
Better Cotton has a zero-tolerance approach to any attitudes or behaviours that put children or adults at risk of harm. Safeguarding incidents are acts of serious misconduct and are grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including, dismissal and referral to relevant authorities for criminal prosecution. Therefore, all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.