International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)
Job location: Geneva – Switzerland
Target Start date: October 2023
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is a global network of judges and lawyers united in affirming international law and rule of law principles that advance human rights. Since 1952, the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) has performed a unique and prominent role as a nongovernmental organization defending human rights and the rule of law worldwide. With its Headquarters based in Geneva, ICJ operates on the ground in Africa, Latin America, Asia & the Pacific, Europe & Central Asia, and the Middle East.
We are recruiting a Director of Administration and Finance to provide strategic direction, lead the global Finance and Accounting team, and be responsible for the implementation and improvement of financial systems, policies and procedures. The ideal candidate has at least ten years relevant experience including at least five years at the senior management level in the finance department of an international entity. We would welcome additional familiarity with administrative, human resources and office management systems and processes, and excellent management and communication skills.
Reporting directly to and advising the Secretary-General, the Director of Administration and Finance holds the following responsibilities:
- Develop financial and administrative operations with the goal of contributing to the ICJ’s growth, as well as leading the transformation of corporate services.
- Provide leadership for planning, managing and controlling the financial functions of the Secretariat, including in its regional offices. Ensure financial and budget planning, effective accounting and cashflow, financial strategy and analysis;
- Supervise the Finance & Accounting department and HR department to ensure smooth day-to-day transactions and the team’s efficiency and effectiveness across the globe;
- Ensure the highest standards of financial management and accountability. The Director of Administration and Finance will protect donor funds through the highest fiduciary standards by coordinating audits; ensuring compliance and risk management;
- Present quarterly and annual financial statements to the Secretary General and Executive Committee;
- Ensure the operation of efficient and cost-effective office systems;
- Participate in the strategic management of the ICJ as part of the Senior Management Team. Provide financial advice to the Secretary-General and the rest of the management team;
- Participate in developing and implementing the organization's internal control system, financial and HR policies and best practices in all ICJ offices. Ensure its compliance with contractual and legal obligations;
- Provide regional offices with advice and guidance on Finance, HR, Administration issues and IT.
- To hold the Treasurer function for ICJ-European Institutions (ICJ-EI).
- Oversee /ensure overall supervision of all personnel matters, including recruitments, regulations and conditions of employment, remuneration and benefits, team building and professional development.
- Ensure the operation of efficient and cost effective office systems and supervised the management of information technology systems and the maintenance of hardware and software.
- Foster an open and supportive working environment at the ICJ.
The successful candidate will have:
Education & Experience
- University degree or relevant certificate in accounting or business administration, or equivalent. Additional relevant advanced level qualifications, such as an MBA/CPA;
- Ten years of experience in finance, accounting and audit, including minimum 5 years at senior management level; a solid background in financial information systems, reporting, and budgeting;
- Working experience from an international NGO or an international organization, including experience in managing finance systems that involve headquarters and regional offices;
- Experience in leading ERP implementation.
- Experience in leading corporate services transformation.
- Fluent (verbal and written) English and French;
- Strong computer skills, comfort and familiarity with technology systems;
- Proficient knowledge and experience with relevant Swiss legislation and compliance regulations for international NGOs in Switzerland highly desirable.
- Familiarity with administrative, human resources and office management systems and processes desirable.
- Excellent communication and management skills, with demonstrated ability to provide supportive advice to staff on finance issues;
- Ability to manage multilocational finance operations with reasonably complex teams;
- A problem-solving, proactive approach to challenges and demonstrated experience operating and improving financial processes and information systems;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work comfortably as a team player and thrive in a fast-paced, multicultural environment;
- Commitment to and understanding of human rights issues;
- A sense of humour.
Interested applicants should provide all materials outlined below to email@example.com by the 17 September 2023, midnight Central European Time (CET).
Please include “Director of Administration and Finance’’ in the subject line of the application e-mail. The ICJ shall not be liable for not opening proposals that are submitted with a different subject.
- A CV (maximum 2 pages);
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page);
- The names and contact information of at least two recent references.
Please appreciate that due to the volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The ICJ is unable to respond to phone enquiries.
The ICJ is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and value a diverse workforce. The ICJ’s policy is to practice a fair and non-discriminatory recruitment and selection procedure and to strive for and maintain international and multi-cultural personnel.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.