The incumbent will contribute to Concept Foundation’s overall work on research and development, and specifically, to the coordination of a large multi-country research project on pre-eclampsia.
Objectives of the programme
Concept Foundation’s research and innovation pillar includes several different areas of work. The main objective is to identify innovations with potential to make health impact with regard to safe and effective fertility control methods and reduce maternal mortality and morbidity. Developing rigorous evaluation approaches to move the research into pivotal stage is a key objective.
Concept Foundation places special emphasis on gender inequalities that sustain the lack of sufficient R&D activity, resulting in shortage of new products and ongoing market access challenges. Concept Foundation conducts work to identify the barriers and efforts to overcome those barriers.
Concept Foundation’s mission is to identify, innovate and enable equitable access to quality-assured reproductive health medicines and technologies in settings where the need is greatest.
As a senior member of the team, the incumbent will collaborate with other Concept Foundation teams and consultants especially regarding activities around research and innovation.
The incumbent will represent Concept Foundation in meetings as required, and participate in relevant activities, related to sexual and reproductive health and rights. The demands on the incumbent will be multiple and subject to change based upon organizational priorities.
Summary of Assigned Duties
The incumbent will:
- Support the implementation of the multi-country research project to prevent pre-eclampsia working together with other study teams internationally.
- Develop new projects and conduct fund-raising activities to support the organization’s mission.
- Conduct systematic reviews and research synthesis activities relating to the programme area.
- Contribute to the evaluation of sexual and reproductive health pipeline technologies including the development of target product profiles (TPPs) as needed.
- Prepare technical reports for donors.
- Contribute to advocacy and communications activities relating to the work of the organization. Use of internet publishing and social media channels such as twitter, LinkedIn, blogs etc.
- Other relevant tasks as required by the Director of Programmes and the Executive Director
- Ability to communicate in a credible and effective way
- Results oriented
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Sensitivity to cultural and international contexts
Essential knowledge and skills
- Knowledge of global sexual and reproductive health priorities and key issues around access to quality assured medicines and other technologies
- Solid knowledge of research methods and track record of scientific publishing evidenced by peer-reviewed research in the field.
- Good writing and presentation skills
Essential educational qualifications
Advanced university degree in one of the following fields: medicine, health sciences (midwifery, nursing, pharmacy, epidemiology)
Desirable educational qualifications
- Specialization in obstetrics and gynaecology
- PhD or Msc in biomedical/pharmaceutical or basic science research (molecular biology, biochemistry etc.) epidemiology.
- Essential relevant experience
- Experience relevant work in low- and middle-income countries, especially in sub-Saharan Africa
- Excellent knowledge of English
- Knowledge of French would be desirable
- Experience with statistical analysis software, sample size estimations, analytical approaches
- Experience in qualitative research methods
- Other considerations