CARE International Secretariat
- Position Title: Accounting & Finance Manager
- Work %: 100%
- Location: CI Secretariat, Geneva
- Supervisor: Head of Finance & Services
- Positions supervised: Finance & Administration Officer
- Date: May 2022
CARE International (CI) is among the world’s largest international non-governmental humanitarian relief and development Confederations. Drawing on its 75 years of experience, through its 21 Members, Candidates and Affiliate, as both a practitioner and thought leader, CI’s work reaches over 100 countries worldwide to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice.
At the core of the Confederation is a small, globally distributed Secretariat, which provides coordination and support to its Members in many areas as governance, strategic planning, communications, membership development and accountability, advocacy, humanitarian response, and program development. In addition, the Secretariat represents the CARE Confederation at the United Nations and the European Union.
The role of the Accounting & Finance Manager is to support the Secretariat’s Head of Finance & Services to ensure the Secretariat’s sound financial administration and reporting by carrying out professional accounting work related to the preparation and maintenance of financial records (with offices in Geneva, London and Brussels), assist in the management of funds jointly owned by the CI membership, play a key role in budget and forecast, and support the Head of Finance & Services with Secretariat statutory and legal obligations. This position involves considerable hands on work, owing to the small size of the Finance & Services team (5).
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES - but not limited to:
- Accounting, Financial Management and Control and reporting (approx. 45%)
- Ensure the maintenance, monitoring and oversight of general accounting, financial management, reporting and cashflow management for CI Secretariat’s legal entities Association CARE International (Swiss entity) and its UK branch, and CARE International AISBL (Belgian entity).
- Supervise invoice bookings, and maintain accounts payable and receivable.
- Verify and authorise general and recurring journal entries for miscellaneous expenses.
- Support and verify the reconciliation and records of inter-company accounts/transactions.
- Maintain a system of quarterly and annual financial reporting and monitoring, as required by Secretariat management and governance.
- Support the design and implementation of a robust system of internal control system to the level required by the CI Supervisory Board and external statutory auditors.
- Prepare quarterly VAT declaration and other tax declaration as applicable.
- Ensure that all payments, transactions, accounting entries and monthly and quarterly accounting reconciliations are made in an accurate and timely manner within Secretariat financial rules and regulations.
- Ensure quarterly and annual financial reporting and monitoring, as required by CI Secretariat’s management and governance rules.
- Supervise the credit card and Petty cash (Belgium) processes.
- Obtain necessary approvals for any changes and maintain controls over Secretariat bank account access (in Geneva and Brussels),
- Monitior CI Secretariat cash flow and ensure that bank accounts contain sufficient balances required for effective Secretariat operations, minimising negative interest costs where possible.
- Statutory Financial Reporting and Audit (approx. 5%)
- Prepare for review theSwiss Financial Statements, tax returns and fee forms (Brussels) for annual filing with relevant authorities.
- Manage the final annual statutory audit processes in Switzerland.
- Support Annual Budget and Quarterly Forecasts (approx. 15%)
- Provide support to the Head of Finance & services in the annual budget preparation process, working with budget managers to prepare detailed budgets for each CI Secretariat sub team and the overall proposed CI Secretariat Budgets.
- Manage the quarterly forecasts process and provide an analysis to CI Leadership Team for its discussion on resource allocation.
- CI Funds (approx. 10%)
Revolving Fund (RF)
- Support the process of CI Member loan applications to the CI Revolving Fund, co-ordinate the loan approval processes and ensure preparation of interest calculations and statements as well as quarterly reporting to Members.
Emergency Response Funds (ERF)
- Under the advice of the CI Head of Emergency Operations, ensure the preparation of advances for emergency response activities, supervise the tracking and accounting of fund advances and expenses as per the ERF policy and ensure the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements.
Membership Investment Fund (MIF)
- Working with the Director of Governance & Confederation Development ensure that IPIAs are in place for funding any new CARE entities and that financial provisions are met both from the MIF and from the new CARE entity. Ensure that any exploration funds are properly authorised and documented. Supervise the tracking and reporting of the MIF.
- Ensure the adequate management of donor grants received at CI Secretariat, in addition to annual CI member contributions. This includes verifying the respect of internal procedures and establishing the donor financial reports.
- Prepare and support external audits required as part of these donor grants.
- Supervise CI Secretariat cost recovery invoices and establish contracts (approx. 5%)
- Ensure timely cross charges of costs committed by CI Secretariat for other CARE/External organisations according to the agreements signed.
- Establish consultant contracts for companies following procedure for hiring consultants.
- Support on writing or reviewing Internal agreements.
- Support the payroll process with external providers (approx. 15%)
- Following the monthly payroll instructions from the Head of HR , liaise with Swiss and UK external payroll providers to establishthe monthly payrolls on a accurate and timely basis
- Review and approve the monthly payroll for all Secretariat staff (Belgium, UK and Switzerland) to ensure timely payment of salaries.
- Register UK staff in the UK pension scheme and communicate to the pension provider the staff movements.
- Reconcile all payroll costs with external suppliers and relevant authorities
7. Other (approx. 5%)
- Maintain the Finance Sharepoint.
- Support the Head of Finance & Services in the development and maintenance of the Finance function and related policies and processes.
- Any other project, task that might be assigned by the Head of Finance & Services.
Head of Finance & Services, CI Secretariat Leadership Team especially Head of Human Resources & Administration, CI Secretariat staff.
Outsource payroll providers, service providers, auditors, banks.
The Accounting & Finance manager reports to the Head of Finance & Services.
Finance & Administration Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- Minimum of seven years of relevant professional experience in financial management and accounting in an international setting with staff and processes spread across various countries and frameworks
- Experience in monthly and year end closing, balance sheet reconciliations (including intercompany), VAT, consolidation, audit, Financial reporting and annual budgeting process
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Flexibility with excellent prioritisation and problem-solving skills
- Highly organised with proactive approach to work planning and ability to work under pressure and deliver to deadlines
- IT skills including mastery in Excel
- Excellent attention to detail
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and anti-racism
- Fluent spoken and written English and French
- Interest in, and knowledge of, CARE's work, international development, and humanitarian relief
- Experience in the international non-profit sector
- Experience in donor reporting
- Knowledge of GIT software and other accounting software
- Swiss Accounting rules’ expertise
We are committed to preventing all unwanted behaviour at work. This includes sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse. We expect everyone who works for us to share this commitment by understanding and working within the CARE Safeguarding Policy and related framework.
CARE International has a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a vulnerable adult or child by any of our staff, representatives or partners. CARE International reserves the right to seek information from job applicants’ current and/or previous employers about incidents of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment the applicant may have been found guilty to have committed or about which an investigation was in the process of being carried out at the time of the termination of the applicant’s employment with that employer.
By submitting the application, the job applicant confirms that s/he has no objection to CARE International requesting the information specified above.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We will seek at least two references, one of which must be your most recent employer. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, child abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By applying, you confirm your understanding and agreement of these checks.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CVs and a brief covering letter of interest in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31st, 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
More Information on CARE International is available at www.careinternational.org.
Only candidates with the relevant work authorization will be considered.
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.