International AIDS Society
About the IAS:
IAS – the International AIDS Society – convenes, educates and advocates for a world in which HIV no longer presents a threat to public health and individual well-being. After the emergence of HIV and AIDS, concerned scientists created the IAS to bring together experts from across the world and disciplines to promote a concerted HIV response. Today, the IAS and its members unite scientists, policy makers and activists to galvanize the scientific response, build global solidarity and enhance human dignity for all those living with and affected by HIV. The IAS is also the steward of the world’s most prestigious HIV conferences: the International AIDS Conference, the IAS Conference on HIV Science, and the HIV Research for Prevention Conference. More information on IAS can be found at www.iasociety.org.
Details of Employment:
The Web Editor will be based in Geneva, Switzerland, and the IAS offers the possibility for Swiss-based employees to work up to 50% from their legal residence. The Web Editor will report to the Senior Communications Officer – Content. The position is open-ended and full-time, to start as soon as possible.
Purpose of the Position:
As the first and principal Web Editor of the IAS, the incumbent will produce compelling web content that captures IAS messaging priorities and ensures that the IAS website engages its audiences. The incumbent will curate and update the new IAS website (roll out in February 2022) and have a unique opportunity to shape the debate around the HIV response.
- Following the roll out of a new IAS website in February 2022, develop an editorial strategy with the Senior Communications Officer – Content.
- Ensure that the IAS website is always up to date and reflects IAS messaging and positioning priorities.
- Work with all departments to ensure that all sections of the website are being updated and coach the various focal points on the best way of doing so.
- Work closely with the Digital Communications Officer to ensure search engine optimization and tracking web analytics.
- Work closely with the Digital Designer to produce compelling visual and multimedia content.
- Work closely with the Engagement team to optimize traffic back to the website.
- Ensure that website text is accessible, informative and interesting, paying close attention to narrative flow, messaging, accuracy, tone and house style [].
- Ensure that web content complies with copyright and privacy regulations.
- Proactively suggest improvements to IAS web content management processes.
- Articulate website KPIs and develop a strategy to meet them.
- Proactively translate IAS campaigns, events and messaging priorities into compelling content that serves IAS strategic priorities.
- Train communications focal points in other departments on using the CMS and establish an organization-wide process.
Perform any additional tasks requested by the Senior Communications Officer – Content or Director, Communications and Public Affairs.
- A degree in communications, international relations, public health or a related field is highly desirable. A completed project management course would be an asset.
- At least five years of experience working in a web editing role or experience in producing, editing and disseminating multimedia content for online audiences, ideally NGOs, media outlets, international brands or other international institutions
- Experience with Drupal 9
- Previous working experience in communications, journalism, public relations and/or marketing
- A strong, versatile portfolio of well-produced web content
- Although not essential for this position, the IAS acknowledges the value of the experience of living with HIV and will consider this when evaluating applications.
- Very strong writing skills with the ability to write well under pressure
- Strong attention to detail and quality control of deliverables
- Strong understanding of how communications and messaging translates across global audiences
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas, as well as transfer knowledge and skills
- Excellent computer skills (MS Office essential; Adobe Photoshop an asset)
- Understanding of web development, HTML and Drupal 9
- Interest in UI and UX design
- Good understanding of the HIV landscape, the main actors and the state of the HIV response
- Proactive and forward looking
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of people
- Ability to work independently and with a team to identify, explore and implement creative multimedia strategies
- Strong organizational skills, project management skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of best SEO practices and tools helpful.
- Fluent written and oral English language communication skills
- Knowledge of other languages an asset.
The IAS Secretariat in Geneva is a dynamic and diverse workplace that brings together public health, HIV science, conferencing, programme management and other specialists who all share the IAS’s vision of a world in which HIV no longer presents a threat to public health and individual well-being. We thrive on an exceptional team spirit, put trust in our colleagues’ professionalism, and value new ideas. The IAS promotes a flexible and collaborative workplace which encourages employees to grow their skills and competencies.
The IAS is committed to ensuring a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment and to the greater involvement of people living with HIV (GIPA) in all aspects of our work. To help us achieve this, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates who share the IAS values (learn more here), regardless of their sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, HIV status, race, national origin, cultural or ethnic background, disability, religion, or age.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only candidates from Switzerland, from an EU/EFTA country or candidates already having a valid Swiss working permit to work full-time will be considered. Candidates shall mention on their CV their work authorization in Switzerland.