The Partnerships and Membership Director is responsible for leading and implementing NCDA’s partnership, business development and membership strategy and work. The Director will take responsibility for the growth and engagement of the membership and partnerships it currently has, bringing more in over time.
The Partnerships and Membership Director will lead, manage and develop a team of four highly qualified and motivated individuals based across Geneva, London and Washington D.C. The Partnership and Membership Team is responsible for generating the total operational budget of NCDA, raise funds for the programmatic activities, support the delivery of some of the partnership activities, lead a stream of work on promoting multisectoral action and purpose-driven partnerships, and engage with its membership base around the world.
The Partnerships and Membership Director will be part of the Senior Management Team of NCDA which has responsibility to drive the organisation forward, meeting the ambitions of the Board. The management team has significant autonomy and works with the Board in a positive way.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates interested in working for a respected civil society organisation, engaging with a diverse set of partners and members, with experience in partnerships, business development and stakeholder engagement.
Duties and responsibilities of the Partnership and Membership Director will include:
Strategy and Management
- Lead NCDA’s partnership, business development and membership work, including working closely with the CEO to develop and implement the membership, partnership and fundraising plan to support NCDA’s goals and ambitions.
- Lead, manage and develop the NCDA Partnership and Membership unit day-to-day activities, including managing four staff in Geneva, London and Washington DC.
- Oversee the management of NCDA’s existing partnerships (currently 30, across multiple sectors), including stakeholder management, delivery of partnership agreements and reporting.
- Manage the partnership and membership budget, as well as contribute to the annual budgeting and financial reporting process.
- Play an active role in the leadership of NCDA as a member of the Senior Management Team. Work closely with the CEO and other Directors to guide the organisation and ensure that NCDA is fulfilling its vision and mission, while adhering our values.
- Support the CEO in NCDA Board matters when in relation to partnership and membership, including supporting the NCDA Board Sub-Committee on Partnership and Membership.
- Represent NCDA at key global and regional events and conferences to promote NCDA and its mission.
Partnerships, Business Development and Membership
- Work closely with the CEO to regularly review and define the funding model of NCDA and then to implement it
- Develop the membership and partnership offer to be in line with NCDA’s long-term
- Oversee and lead NCDA’s engagement with partners, including developing and renewing annual / multi-year partnership agreements aligned with NCDA’s 2021-2026 strategy and the annual priorities defined across its Strategic Pillars..
- Lead NCDA’s Supporters Group (the group of NCDA’s 30+ partners), develop annual bilateral plans and oversee the delivery of activities.
- Lead partnership and membership monitoring, evaluation and reporting to assess impact, results and learning.
- Develop, lead and manage outreach efforts to increase the membership and partnership baseline to achieve the goals set by the NCDA business plan, including overseeing mapping of strategic opportunities, developing concept notes, proposals and budgets for new partnerships and programmes.
- Identify innovative business opportunities with NCDA’s partners and
- Manage excellent relationships with NCDA members and partners including regular meetings, engagement with leadership of partners, regular surveys to assess baselines and progress.
- Lead on the delivery of relevant partnership-led events, initiatives and knowledge products, in line with NCDA’s new strategy.
- Understand the organisational financial needs and priorities to coordinate the fundraising requirements of other NCDA units (e.g. policy and advocacy; capacity development; communications).
- Work in close collaboration with all NCDA units to drive NCDA’s membership and partnership strategy in line with the organisation’s priorities.
- Maximise NCDA platforms and flagship initiatives to promote NCDA members and partners’ activities, including NCDA advocacy events, the annual Global Week for Action on NCDs campaign, the Global NCDA Forum or the Our Views Our Voices initiative.
Skills and competencies
- Advanced university degree with a minimum of 10 years proven track record in leading partnerships, business development and fundraising.
- Successful track record of relationship management and ideally within an NGO / not-for-profit and membership organisations and/or organisations with a strong partnership approach.
- Knowledge of the global health / international development sector (and NCD sector a plus).
- Strategic thinker – able to set out long term plans and execute on
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills with the ability to influence partners across sectors.
- Ability to synthesize complex material accurately and communicate it to potential
- Team/line management experience and track record of working in teams to deliver against timelines.
- Budget, partnership proposal / agreement development experience within NGO and development sector.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a small, multicultural, dynamic
- Excellent organizational skills; the ability to multi-task, learn quickly and work independently and productively in a fast-paced and detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with people and organisations representing those living with NCDs.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Availability for regular travel abroad.
Diversity and inclusion are central to the way we work at the NCD Alliance. We are committed to cultivating a fair and healthy environment, where everyone can be themselves and thrive. We are happy to discuss flexible working options for all roles. We work to ensure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible to everyone.
Our work is underpinned by values which align with well-established principles of global health and sustainable development:
- Equity, diversity and inclusion
- Excellence and results driven
How to apply
Please note that only applicants with a pre-existing right to work in Switzerland can apply.
Apply for this position via the following link: Partnerships and Membership Director and please attach a cover letter referencing how you possess the required experience and competencies (up to 2 pages) and your curriculum vitae to the link. Please clarify in the cover letter your current location and when you would be available for employment.
Application deadline: 12 September. We regret that we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates. First round interviews will take place in the week of 19 September 2022.
About the NCD Alliance
The NCD Alliance (NCDA) is a unique civil society network, dedicated to shaping a world in which everyone can live a healthy and productive life, free from the preventable suffering, stigma, disability and death caused by non-communicable diseases (NCDs). NCDA is a registered non-governmental organisation (NGO) based in Geneva, Switzerland, bringing together 300 members in more than 80 countries, including a network of 66 national and regional NCD alliances, to form a respected, united and credible global civil society movement.