Public Services International
PSI is looking for an experienced and motivated administrator to manage support services, both for Head Office in Ferney-Voltaire, France and in our 15 offices around the world.
The person we are seeking will lead our administration teams and systems and will focus on steady and gradual improvements.
As a global trade union federation, PSI operates across varied and often challenging environments and circumstances. Our administrative services need to be both rigorous and adaptable. Many regional offices are small, and the administrative tools must be simple and easy to use.
Working in a vibrant multicultural workplace, the successful candidate will possess at least 10 years’ experience in administration management with demonstrated success in developing procedures and implementing systems and tools to support the organisation and have proven experience in managing a team and in coordinating activities.
S/he must have highly developed written and oral communication skills in English with the ability to draft, edit and proofread text in English together with a strong working knowledge of French.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a trade union or NGO environment and will be motivated by social change. S/he will thrive in supporting others to achieve results and be a good communicator. S/he will have problem solving, change management and decision-making skills and be capable of going beyond the cultural and linguistic divides, to easily communicate with the whole international team of PSI Head Office and in the Regions.
Interested candidates are invited to:
- Produce a cover letter including motivation for the position, related skills and competences, based on the selection criteria listed in the job description, of no more than 1,000 words in English
- Attach a detailed Curriculum Vitae in English with contact details for three professional referees
- Email their application to firstname.lastname@example.org subject “Manager Global Administration” by 25 September 2022
NB: Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
We encourage candidates to apply regardless of their gender, age, nationality, religion and sexual orientation.
The position will be based in PSI head office in Ferney-Voltaire, France (next to Geneva)
PSI offers a decent wage and benefits package, including relocation and work visa support
Read online: https://psishort.link/vacancies
The Manager Global Administration is responsible for ensuring global administration and allied functions to support the achievement of PSI’s political and strategic objectives. The position manages and leads PSI’s global administrative and technical systems, including procurement, facilities, IT, legal compliance and the general services team.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
Administrative, Legal and General Services
- Manage and lead the administrative, legal, and general services of PSI including to develop and maintain procedures, and provide for strategic planning and continued improvement
- Establish, manage and monitor procurement procedures and contracts
- Support regional and sub-regional offices (registration, legal, procurement, etc.) and ensure their integration into overall administrative mechanisms and procedures
- Oversee membership and fees data systems, ensure integration and quality control, produce reports
- Maintain internal control systems and propose improvements
- Ensure timely financial data to Finance team, contribute to budget preparations
- Monitor PSI’s assets and investments and act as Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Governing bodies & related working groups support
- Assist in organising meetings of governance bodies, including to plan logistics, maintain template documents, first draft agenda and running script, oversee collation of documents from departments and regions, coordinate staff and logistical support
- Maintain accurate records of governance bodies, their legal status and composition, liaise with regions and advise of upcoming vacancies on governing bodies
- Take meeting minutes
- Oversee distribution of materials to governance body members
- Coordinate operational aspects of PSI Congress
- Advise management on related governance issues
- Manage the head office General Services team: supervise and support team development and teamwork, oversee workloads, monitor implementation and quality control
- Co-ordinate head office administrative functions across teams and with regions
- Develop guidelines on administrative procedures
- Oversee holiday planning and back-up arrangements
- Ensure appropriate administrative support systems for policy officers
- Liaise with regional secretaries and administration staff to ensure regional and HO administration is well integrated
IT and information management
- Lead the information management of PSI globally
- Support the selection and implementation of IT tools including, but not limited to, membership, political organising, internal and external communications, file management, HR and finance systems
- Support and supervise the IT manager
- Support rollout of new technology, information management systems and user training
- Draft and distribute circulars and internal documents including proofing of English originals
- Oversee translation and interpretation brokerage and ensure quality control of official documents
- Back up the work of the general service team members at times of peak workload
Other duties as assigned
Education, knowledge and experience:
- College or university degree in administration, office management
- At least 10 years’ experience in administration management within a membership-based organisation, trade unions, civil society or equivalent with demonstrated success in developing procedures and implementing systems and tools to support the organisation
- At least 5 years’ experience in team coordination or staff management
- Demonstrated experience in drafting, editing and proofing texts in English (minutes, circulars, internal reports and guidelines, etc.)
- Demonstrated capacity to coordinate, lead and motivate staff and build cohesive teams
- Experience with administrative tools for managing membership, information, electronic files, personnel and finances
Skills and attributes:
- Excellent administrative and logistic skills
- Excellent organisational, coordination and time management skills including the ability to multi-task, respect deadlines and manage competing priorities under pressure
- Problem-solving, change management and decision-making skills
- Strong team player, able to communicate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Initiative and ability to plan, work autonomously and in teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to manage relationships in a team and a multicultural environment
- Good judgment and political sensitivity
- Understand the role and values of trade unions and civil society organisations in an international context including PSI’s political objectives
- High level English and strong working French
- Knowledge of German desirable