Switzerland for UNHCR Foundation
Switzerland for UNHCR hires an Administrative Assistant
- Contract Type: job-sharing (2 x 50 to 60%) or full time - permanent position
- Place of work: Geneva
- Starting date: As soon as possible
About Switzerland for UNHCR, the Swiss Foundation for UNHCR
UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting the rights of refugees and building a better future for the millions of people forced to flee their homes.
Since 1950, UNHCR has responded to multiple crises on different continents and has provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nowhere else to turn. Its work was aimed at ensuring their rights, protection and assistance, preserving their dignity and well-being.
The Swiss Foundation for UNHCR, Switzerland for UNHCR (CH4U), is the UN Refugee Agency’s national partner for Switzerland. We support UNHCR's mission by mobilizing essential resources and raising awareness on behalf of those who are forced to flee.
To allow UNHCR to protect forcibly displaced populations, the Foundation needs the support of the Swiss people. Every Franc donated is spent in a responsible and transparent manner, and donations are tax exempt.
Switzerland for UNHCR also carries out awareness and advocacy initiatives to draw the general public’s attention to the challenges faced by people forced to flee around the world, and to what UNHCR does to protect them.
The Foundation is currently looking for an Administrative Assistant to support its back-office activities and contribute to ensure operational support is provided to all departments and individuals in the Foundation. The incumbent will as well play a key role by assisting the Executive Director as her Personal Assistant and provide her support with a wide array of tasks.
S/He will be an internal resource that will provide a wide array of tasks ranging from office support, administration and personal assistance.
We are seeking a dynamic, versatile and proactive team player, with a strong interest in a strong non-profit brand and refugee/humanitarian issues. The incumbent should have excellent administrative experience in a wide array of back-office areas in order to assist the Executive Director and Operations’ department in many support activities.
Scope of the Assignment
The Administrative assistant will take the following responsibilities:
Assistant to the Executive Director (ED):
- Manages the ED’s calendar on Outlook and coordinates appointments
- Coordinates and organizes the ED’s meetings, including the reservation and preparation of conference rooms, equipment, beverages and, if applicable, meals
- Performs various administrative tasks related to internal and external meetings
- Supports the ED in the organization and preparation of travels (including flight / train / hotel bookings) and professional expenses
- Assists the ED in monitoring her travel budget
- Assists the ED and the leadership as required to prepare and edit communications, mails, letters, presentations, talking points and other documents
- Performs various administrative tasks (photocopying, binding, faxing, emails, etc.) for the ED and the leadership
- Assists the ED with IT issues and ad-hoc queries
Administrative assistant to the Operations’ department:
- Manages the Foundation office (including office improvement, stationary and other consumables follow up, inventories, liaison with post office and press needs)
- Manages incoming and outgoing calls as per needs
- Manages relationships with externalized IT support and acts as a focal point for IT queries
- Keeps IT inventories up to date (material, access rights and phone numbers), orders IT material and ensures follow up
- Acts as Sharepoint focal point and ensures proper filing, back up and archiving of the Foundation documents
- Follows and enforces filing guidelines for paper and electronic documents and helps streamlining processes (e.g. by creating templates, office guides)
- Supports the leadership in organizing the heads of unit meetings and any other meetings upon request, including the logistics, meeting preparation and taking of minutes
- Participates to the organization of team events, meetings and training & learning sessions, including the logistics and meeting preparation. Ensures the follow up of the action points
- Assists the leadership in the coordination of the annual plan and manages and updates the annual calendar in collaboration with the Operations Officer
- Supports team members in their travel requests (including flight / train / hotel booking) and professional expenses
- Manages petty cash expenses in collaboration with the Finance Manager
- Supports, upon request, the organization and roll out of cultivation and fundraising events and campaigns
The ideal candidate is a passionate, professional, results-oriented individual, with a proven experience in administration. She / He should be at ease evolving in startup mode in a growing organization. Experience with an international not for profit (IGO-INGO) or humanitarian organization would be an asset.
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant work experience
- Experience working for an International non-for-profit agency / organization is considered an asset
- Graduate degree or CFC / professional maturity with equivalent in experience to reach graduate level
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and proven ability to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Excellent analytical skills
- Very well organized and structured
- Ability to supervise an Intern or Apprentice
- Ability to manage small projects if delegated by upper levels with close supervision
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills in a fast-paced multi-cultural and multilingual environment
- Capacity to work autonomously as well as a team player
- Capacity to interact with internal and external stakeholder
- Knowledge, interest and a strong commitment for the work and mission of UNHCR and the refugee cause
- Excellent command of French and English with ideally a sound knowledge of German
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office applications
Interested candidates can send their cover letter and CV to the Swiss Foundation by email to email@example.com, October 30th 2022, mentioning the reference: Admin Assistant (please also mention job sharing or full time)
Only selected candidates will be contacted. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and proud to make diversity a strength.