Medicines Patent Pool
The Medicines Patent Pool (MPP) is a United Nations-backed public health organisation working to increase access to, and facilitate the development of, life-saving medicines for low- and middle-income countries. Through its innovative business model, MPP partners with civil society, governments, international organisations, industry, patient groups, and other stakeholders, to prioritise and license needed medicines and pool intellectual property to encourage generic manufacture and the development of new formulations. To date, MPP has signed agreements with 13 patent holders for 13 HIV antiretrovirals, one HIV technology platform, three hepatitis C direct-acting antivirals, a tuberculosis treatment, two long-acting technologies, two experimental oral antiviral treatments for COVID-19 and a COVID-19 serological antibody diagnostic test. In 2020, MPP’s mandate was temporarily expanded to include COVID-19 treatments. In 2021 it was expanded further to include the licensing of technology with an initial focus on COVID-19 vaccines and pandemic preparedness. MPP was founded by Unitaid, which continues to be MPP’s main funder. MPP’s work on access to essential medicines is also funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). MPP’s activities in COVID-19 are undertaken with the financial support of the Japanese Government, the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, and SDC.
For more information, please see our website, https://medicinespatentpool.org/
The Grants and Operations Manager supports the Head of Operations and Resources (HOR) and by extension the Senior Management Team to ensure the efficient management of grants and donor relations and support the delivery of the strategic implementation plan.
The Grants and Operations Manager reports to the HSO.
- Support the HOR in managing grants and donor relations.
- Develop and monitor budgets
- Keep reporting schedules up to date, coordinate meetings and develop presentations as required.
- Produce programmatic reports ensuring compliance with policies, requirements, agreed timelines, formats and quality standards.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve the efficiency of grant management.
Operations and Strategy
- Liaise with MPP’s workstreams to help coordinate the reporting to, and monitoring of, the 2023-2025 strategic implementation plan.
- Support risk management.
- Support the HOR to achieve MPP’s carbon reduction target
- Demonstrable ability to manage a variety of activities simultaneously and take initiative.
- High level of financial literacy with the proven ability to build budgets.
- Prioritisation, planning, and project coordination skills.
- Excellent communication skills with an emphasis on professional writing; excellent written English essential.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with Monitoring and Evaluation tools, a strong asset.
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills; diplomacy and tact.
- Analysis, problem-solving, sound judgment.
- Collaborative and supportive approach to teamwork.
- Ability to work successfully in an international, multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious working relationships, both within and outside the organisation.
Education and special training:
- University degree or equivalent.
- Project management an asset.
Experience (length and nature):
- At least five years of work experience, including internships.
- Experience working in multi-cultural/multi-national teams.
- Experience of working with budgets with multiple different currencies would be an asset.
Use of Languages:
- High proficiency in spoken and written English essential.
- Knowledge of French or another official language of the United Nations would be an asset.
MPP’s richness lies in its staff: a small dynamic and multicultural team!
To flourish in our team, you must recognise yourself in our values: Respect, Courage, Generosity and Commitment.
Moreover, the Grants and Operations Manager will need to demonstrate a personal commitment to the public health goals of MPP.
MPP respects all individuals regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, HIV status or disability. All qualified applications are welcome.
If you recognize yourself in this description and wish to join our outstanding team, please send a cover letter and C.V