Médecins Sans Frontières CH
7-month contract (Maternity leave replacement) – 80% to 100%
Context & Mission
MSF is a non-profit, international, independent, medical-humanitarian organization providing assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, natural disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. MSF’s teams are made up of health professionals, logisticians and administrative personnel, guided by medical ethics and the principles of impartiality, independence and neutrality. MSF was founded in 1971 in Paris by a group of journalists and doctors. Today, it is a worldwide movement of more than 60,000 people, including staff in headquarters and in the field.
The mission of the Team Coordinator & Senior Philanthropy Advisor is to secure and grow income for MSF from all categories of major donors (foundations, individual major donors, corporates as well as cantons and municipalities) in French-speaking Switzerland. The Team Coordinator and his/her team are expected to raise around CHF 10 million in 2023 from MSF’s generous major donors.
The Team Coordinator and Senior Philanthropy Advisor in French speaking Switzerland is a key position in the Philanthropy Unit. S/he is responsible for raising funds from all categories of major donors in French speaking Switzerland. With the Head of Unit, s/he’s designs the general strategy and guarantees the implementation of annual action plans and manages a team of 2 Philanthropy Advisors and an Intern for that purpose. The Team Coordinator is member if the Unit’s management team and plays a key role in ensuring coordination and synergies with the Zurich-based teams and the Philanthropy Advisor based in Ticino.
Scope of Responsibilities
Strategy and action plan
- In accordance with the Head of unit, steer and coordinate the implementation of the strategy for building relations with and raising funds from foundations, individual major donors, cantons/municipalities and corporate in French speaking Switzerland.
- Ensure a smooth interface with the Middle Giver program in order to allow for upgrading of Middle Givers to Major Giving
- Contribute to the yearly donor journey for individual major donors developed by the Team coordinator for Individual Major Donors in the German part of Switzerland and ensure that it is adapted for the French speaking part of Switzerland.
- Together with the Team Coordinators for the German part of Switzerland and the Head of Unit ensure coherence in approach to the different donor audiences across Switzerland.
Qualification, cultivation and stewardship
- Prepare and facilitate one to one meetings, calls, presentations and other meaningful interactions with donors to reinforce our relationship and increase our knowledge about their philanthropic interest and passions.
- Interact with key managers within MSF (President, General Director, Director of Operations, other management team members), as well as field staff, with the aim of bringing donors closer to the organisation in an attempt to show them our live saving mission and work in the projects.
- Define, propose and organise visits to MSF offices and projects, in line with MSF criteria and guidance
- Ensure that all interim/final reports are submitted on time to donor who require reports
- Liaise with Writing Officers for the preparation, including proof reading and editing, of project reports
- Deepen the knowledge of each Major Donor and Major Donor prospect, in close cooperation with the Prospect Researcher.
- Present and defend MSF’s case for support to foundations, corporates, individual major donors, cantons and municipalities in French speaking Switzerland.
- Ensure that all project applications are submitted on time.
- Liaise with Writing Officers for the preparation, including proof reading and editing, of project proposals and grant applications to foundations, cantons and municipalities.
Team coordination and management
- Supervise and guide the work of two Philanthropy Advisors and an Intern
- Ensure that the team implements the moves management steps according to the methodology.
- Monitor and track results (annual quantitative (revenue) and qualitative objectives of the members of her/his team in agreement with the Head of the unit).
- Support team members in reaching their objectives and in professional growth, including by monitoring yearly performance objectives and professional development objectives.
- Monitor the team's activity
- Ensure coherence in the use of the database “DREAM” and other tools.
- Identify Human Resources needs (employees, volunteers) within her/his team and with the Head of the unit ensure their recruitment and onboarding
- Together with the Head of Unit, support the Zurich-based members of the Philanthropy Unit in accessing information and staff member in MSF OCG’s Geneva office and contribute to the flow of information between Zurich and Geneva. Facilitate donor visits to the Geneva office.
- Actively participate in the Communities of Practice for Individual Major Donors and for Structured Philanthropy of the Philanthropy Unit and the MSF movement.
- Work proactively on projects as needed in the Unit, upon request by her/his supervisor.
- Tertiary degree in Business Management, Marketing, Communications, Political Science, Law, International Relations, Medical field or equivalent
- Experience in working with MSF
- Experience in coordination or management roles
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in relationship management, like advocacy, policy dialogue, wealth management, communication, journalisme, sales.
- French (mother tongue equivalent)
- English (very good working knowledge)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Negotiation and persuasive skills
- Dynamic and proactive
- Rigorous and good organizational skills
- Empathic, good listener
- Enthusiastic, optimistic
- Team spirit
Skills/ Technical competencies
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Proven writing skills
- Excellent in oral public presentations
- Excellent knowledge of the Windows environment (Word, Excel, Power Point) and databases
Terms of Employment
- 80%- 100% (32h-40h/week)
- Fixed-term 7 month contract (maternity leave)
- Working place : Geneva,
- Start date: February 15th, 2022
- Gross monthly salary for 100%: CHF 7’639.-.
How to Apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Deadline for application is November 20th, 2022
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.