International AIDS Society
About the IAS:
IAS – the International AIDS Society – convenes, educates and advocates for a world in which HIV no longer presents a threat to public health and individual well-being. After the emergence of HIV and AIDS, concerned scientists created the IAS to bring together experts from across the world and disciplines to promote a concerted HIV response. Today, the IAS and its members unite scientists, policy makers and activists to galvanize the scientific response, build global solidarity and enhance human dignity for all those living with and affected by HIV. The IAS is also the steward of the world’s most prestigious HIV conferences: the International AIDS Conference, the IAS Conference on HIV Science, and the HIV Research for Prevention Conference.
More information on IAS can be found at www.iasociety.org.
Details of Employment:
The Congress and Exhibition Project Manager will be based in Geneva, Switzerland, and the IAS offers the possibility for Swiss-based employees to work up to 50% from their legal residence. The Congress and Exhibition Project Manager will report to the Senior Manager, Congress and Exhibition. The position is open-ended and full-time to start as soon as possible.
Purpose of the Position:
The Project Manager will be responsible for managing conference logistics and technical projects. The incumbent will be responsible for keeping track of costs and making relevant recommendations to the Senior Manager, Congress and Exhibition.
- Audio visual (AV) for the International AIDS Conference, the IAS Conference on HIV Science and the HIV Research for Prevention Conference - Managing the AV project, including supplier selection processes, negotiating and contracting, specifications, AV concepts and floorplans, onsite management.
- Satellites for the International AIDS Conference, the IAS Conference on HIV Science and the HIV Research for Prevention Conference – Coordinate satellite sessions and handle the additional AV requirements for satellites.
- Venue Management for the HIV Research for Prevention Conference – Overall venue management, including allocation of space, floorplans and approval processes, build up and signage, including supplier selection processes, negotiating and contracting, specifications, concepts and overall planning, catering, medial services, cleaning and waste, operational timeline, cost forecasts and updates, focal point for the venue and the suppliers, onsite management.
Perform any additional tasks requested by the Senior Manager, Congress and Exhibition.
- A degree in business, events or hospitality management, or a related field is favourable. A project management certification would be an asset.
- At least 5 years’ experience in working with conferences, seminars, workshops, meetings, or other events
- Project management experience
- AV experience
- Experience with in-person, virtual and hybrid conferences, meetings or events
- Experience working for international organizations or abroad
- Although not essential for this position, the IAS acknowledges the value of the experience of living with HIV and will consider this when evaluating applications.
- Advanced project management skills
- Technical savvy and understanding of AV requirements
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and handle many tasks simultaneously
- Be highly organized and systematic
- Ability to work efficiently under pressure, meet deadlines and occasionally work overtime
- Strong communication, cross-cultural and customer service skills
- Open-minded and a strong team player
- Thorough computer skills in the Microsoft environment (Windows, Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook).
- Fluent in English, knowledge of other languages is an asset in particular Spanish.
The IAS Secretariat in Geneva is a dynamic and diverse workplace that brings together public health, HIV science, conferencing, programme management and other specialists who all share the IAS’s vision of a world in which HIV no longer presents a threat to public health and individual well-being. We thrive on an exceptional team spirit, put trust in our colleagues’ professionalism, and value new ideas. The IAS promotes a flexible and collaborative workplace which encourages employees to grow their skills and competencies.
The IAS is committed to ensuring a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment and to the greater involvement of people living with HIV (GIPA) in all aspects of our work. To help us achieve this, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates who share the IAS values (learn more here), regardless of their sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, HIV status, race, national origin, cultural or ethnic background, disability, religion, or age.
How to Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only on a rolling basis. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only candidates from Switzerland, from an EU/EFTA country or candidates already having a valid Swiss working permit to work full-time will be considered. Candidates shall mention on their CV their work authorization in Switzerland.