Better Cotton Initiative
- Starting Date: 01.12.2022
- Contract type: open ended
- Salary: CHF 65’470 (depending on experience)
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Application closing date: Midnight 15.11.2022 CET
About Better Cotton
Better Cotton is the world’s largest cotton sustainability programme. Our mission: to help cotton communities survive and thrive, while protecting and restoring the environment. In challenging times, we are meeting the challenge head on. Through our network of field-level partners we have trained over 2.5 million farmers - from the smallest to the largest - in 23 countries in more sustainable farming practices. A quarter of the world’s cotton is now grown under the Better Cotton Standard. We have united the industry’s stakeholders behind our efforts, from ginners and spinners to brand owners, civil society organisations and governments. Everyone who cares about cotton and its sustainable future can now be part of something better.
About the role
We are searching for a skilled and hands-on Senior HR Officer – someone who works well in a fast-paced not-for-profit setting. Supporting the Senior HR Manager, you will provide practical, timely support, advice and direction to Better Cotton staff in Geneva on the full life cycle of HR activities. You will be responsible for HR administrative tasks and delivery of objectives in line with a wider HR workplan.
If you are passionate about HR and highly efficient, give us a chance to meet you. We expect you to have knowledge of various HR functions. We want to see a committed and approachable individual and be impressed with your character and skills. The goal will be to provide excellent assistance and support to employees and managers and contribute to making Better Cotton a better place to work.
Areas that play to your strengths
(All the responsibilities we’ll trust you with)
For employee administration, you will:
- manage relationship with the external payroll provider, ensuring staff are enrolled under all compulsory and Better Cotton optional benefits (e.g. social security, pension scheme, tax at source) and salaries are processed in an accurate and timely manner;
- lead the request and renewal of work permits;
- handle accident or illness cases with the insurance companies;
- handle special absence and leave requests in line with Better Cotton policies;
- maintain employee records according to policy and legal requirements;
- draft employment contracts and work certificates, as well as consultants' agreement letters;
- assist to review employment and working conditions to ensure legal compliance;
Within broader talent management, you will:
- support the development and implementation of HR policies, initiatives, and systems;
- provide counselling on policies and procedures;
- assist with recruitment by conducting job analysis, preparing job descriptions, posting ads, and managing the hiring process;
- create and implement effective onboarding plans;
- develop training and development programs;
- assist in performance management processes;
- help with the management of disciplinary and grievance issues;
- support with data collection and the preparation of various reports (e.g. headcount, turnover);
- carry out any other people projects or tasks as requested by the Senior HR Manager:
About your skills, knowledge and experience
(proven performance in)
|· Proven experience of 4-5 years as HR officer, generalist, or other HR position|
|· Bachelor's degree in HRM, Business Administration, Social studies, or relevant field|
|· Knowledge of HR functions (recruitment, pay & benefits, training, and development, etc)|
|· Solid understanding of Swiss Labour Law. Swiss HR credentials are required|
|· French mother tongue/proficiency in French, and fluency in English|
|· Technically savvy, strong computer skills and quick understanding of new systems|
|· Ability to work independently and under pressure|
|· Excellent written and verbal communication skills|
|· Outstanding time management and organisational capabilities|
|· Proactive, approachable, with a team player attitude and able to work in a fast-paced international environment|
|· Service-oriented attitude and good interpersonal skills enabling effective relationships with internal clients and other stakeholders|
|· Problem-solving and decision-making aptitude|
|· Strong ethics and reliability|
|· Experience in remote team support to several countries|
|· Interest in and commitment to sustainability|
|· Experience of working in a small to medium size not for profit organisation|
|· A good sense of humour, positive attitude, committed to continuous improvement|
You will work full-time (40 hours per week) and will be based in Geneva. You are a Swiss/EU citizen or in possession of a valid work permit for Switzerland.
Better Cotton offers flexible working, with core hours being 10am – 4pm and the option to work from home one to three days a week. Travel might be required on occasional basis.
What makes us different?
- The chance to contribute to transforming the cotton sector and helping cotton communities survive and thrive, while protecting and restoring the environment
- A flexible work environment with colleagues from 14 countries
- The opportunity to become part of a growing business that pushes you to excel every day while having a positive impact on others and on the planet
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Send us by or before 15.11.2022 a detailed CV in English and a brief cover letter (2 pages maximum) via this link. In your cover letter, please include an explanation of why your experience is specifically relevant to this role at Better Cotton. We want to see your personal style – what makes you tick and why you think your next opportunity is here with us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Better Cotton is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to good practice and transparency in the management of natural, human, and financial resources.
Better Cotton has a zero-tolerance approach to any attitudes or behaviours that put children or adults at risk of harm. Safeguarding incidents are acts of serious misconduct and are grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including, dismissal and referral to relevant authorities for criminal prosecution. Therefore, all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.