Global Survivors Fund
Title: Accounting Assistant
Type of contract: Employment
Contract duration: Open-ended contract
Work time: Full-time position (40 hours per week)
Reporting to: Head of Finance
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Start date: As soon as possible
The Global Survivors Fund (“GSF”) was launched in October 2019 by Dr Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad, Nobel Peace Prize laureates 2018. Its mission is to enhance access to reparations for survivors of conflict-related sexual violence around the globe, thus responding to a gap long identified by survivors. GSF acts to provide interim reparative measures in situations where states or other parties are unable or unwilling to meet their responsibilities. GSF advocates for duty bearers as well as the international community to develop reparations programmes. It also guides states and civil society by providing expertise and technical support for designing reparations programmes. GSF’s survivor-centric approach is the cornerstone of its work.
The overall role of the accounting assistant is to support the Head of Finance to ensure the smooth running of financial transactions at GSF.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Finance, the Accounting Assistant is responsible for managing GSF credit cards and petty cash boxes, preparing the related monthly accounting journals, reviewing and processing requests for advances, ensuring compliance with GSF finance and administration policies, posting documents for internal approval, liaising with staff consultants and providers about their claims invoices and payments, reviewing payroll-related and other invoices, registering payments, liaising with banks and fiduciary to ensure proper processing, and other tasks as requested.
Advances & Expense claims administration
- Review advance requests & expense claims submitted by staff and consultants
- Review descriptions and analytic coding of all transactions
- Post advances and expense claims for internal approval in compliance with GSF policies
- Follow-up on settlement of open advances
Corporate credit cards administration
- Collect support documents from GSF credit card holders, for all payments processed with GSF credit cards
- Review monthly credit card invoices, prepare the monthly credit card report journal files, include relevant descriptions and analytic coding of all transactions
- check compliance with GSF financial & administration policies
- Post monthly credit card journals for internal approval
Petty cash administration
- Manage petty cash boxes in various currencies in Geneva
- Maintain records of all transactions, ensure proper receipts are collected with required support documents, and in compliance with GSF financial & administration policies
- Prepare the monthly cashbox journals with relevant descriptions and analytic coding of all transactions
- Process to regular cash inventories for every cashbox
- Post monthly cashbox journals for internal approval
Payroll-related accounts payable administration
- Review invoices received related to swiss social charges and international payroll produced by third-party payroll providers
- Prepare accounting vouchers with relevant support documents
- Post for internal validation in compliance with GSF policies
- Liaise with relevant swiss and foreign payroll providers and social organisms
Processing of payments
- Register payments of fully approved accounting vouchers in e-banking or other relevant transfer mode (data-entry only)
- Train and support staff and consultants on GSF policies, procedures and tools related to advances, expense claims, per diems, credit cards
- Support efficiently the administration, communications and finance teams for preparation of events
- Maintain complete files of financial records in the shared folders, ensure all documents are up-to-date and properly organized
- Provide clerical support and perform other duties or tasks as assigned or upon request from the Head of Finance
Education and Experience
- Diploma in Finance and accounting (Maturité fédérale professionnelle en Finance et comptabilité or equivalent / higher, CFC employé de commerce, Brevet Fédéral de Comptabilité, or other university degree)
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in an accounting and administrative role
- Very organised, able to prioritize
- Able to work in a structured and rigorous manner, strong attention to detail
- Team player with a positive attitude, excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work in culturally diverse teams
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Fluent both in English and French, spoken and written
How to Apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with “Accounting Assistant Application” as email subject, by Friday 10 February 2023. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Global Survivors Fund is committed to diversity, gender balance and inclusion as well as reflecting the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with, and will consider applications from qualified professionals from all backgrounds, cultures or beliefs. are. We encourage candidates from regions where GSF works to apply. GSF operates and enforces multiple safeguarding policies including Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding and Fiscal Integrity.
Please note that for this position candidates must be authorised to work in the country where the position will be based at the moment of the application.
Your Data - If you choose to apply for this position, you will be providing us with your Personal Data, which we will process for the purposes of selecting a candidate for the position only. We will keep the Personal Data you share with us as part of the application process for six months from the deadline for application, after which it will be deleted. Your Personal Data will be accessed only by our HR Staff managing the recruitment process, as well as the members of the selection panel. You have the right to a) ask us for access to your Personal Data and for information about how we process it, b) to ask us to rectify the Personal Data we have on record for you, c) to ask us to delete your Personal Data or restrict its use, and d) to object to our processing of your Personal Data. To exercise these rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any concerns or complaints about how GSF processes your Personal Data, please submit them to DataProtection@globalsurvivorsfund.org .