Switzerland for UNHCR
- Contract Type: Permanent and full-time position
- Place of work: Geneva
- Starting date: As soon as possible
About Switzerland for UNHCR, the Swiss Foundation for UNHCR
UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting the rights of refugees and building a better future for the millions of people forced to flee their homes.
Since 1950, UNHCR has responded to multiple crises on different continents and has provided vital assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced and stateless people, many of whom have nowhere else to turn. Its work was aimed at ensuring their rights, protection and assistance, preserving their dignity and well-being.
The Swiss Foundation for UNHCR, Switzerland for UNHCR (CH4U), is the UN Refugee Agency’s national partner for Switzerland. We support UNHCR's mission by mobilizing essential resources and raising awareness on behalf of those who are forced to flee.
To allow UNHCR to protect forcibly displaced populations, the Foundation needs the support of the Swiss people. Every Franc donated is spent in a responsible and transparent manner, and donations are tax exempt.
Switzerland for UNHCR also carries out awareness and advocacy initiatives to draw the general public’s attention to the challenges faced by people forced to flee around the world, and to what UNHCR does to protect them.
The Foundation is currently looking for a Strategic Partnerships Manager to contribute to the strategic and operational Private Philanthropy Resource Mobilization in Switzerland with a particular focus on Ultra / High Net Worth Individuals (U/HNWI), foundations and corporate partnerships in the French-speaking region of Switzerland.
The selected candidate will contribute to further develop and expand fundraising and marketing activities of the organisation, drive the strategy implementation, undertake prospect research and maintain the prospect pipeline.
Working in close coordination with the rest of the Private Philanthropy Team, the Strategic Partnership Manager will identify and connect with major donors, corporations and trusts/foundations in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. He/she will cultivate and manage the relationships with prospects and donors and help secure income for UNHCR programs through the Swiss Foundation.
The candidate will also be key to increase and secure new donations and help scoping new Private philanthropy development opportunities. This work will be delivered under the supervision of the Head of Strategic Partnerships.
Scope of the Assignment
The Strategic Partnership Officer will take the following responsibilities:
- Secure donations from major donors with a focus on U/HNWI, Corporates and Foundations in French-speaking Switzerland
- Develop proposals and pitches for potential new private sector partnerships, as well as for maximizing potential with existing partners
- Research new prospects, deliver best practice cultivation to prospects and partners to ensure we are achieving joint objectives and that relationships are well developed and partnerships are regularly reviewed and evaluated
- Solicit and ask for donations through a relevant, respectful and coordinated approach and proactively develop new opportunities for UNHCR in Switzerland, appropriately influencing the organization to explore new models of partnership
- Ensure the proper recognition of donors and guarantee relevant stewardship and reporting (both to donors, prospects, and internally)
- Participate to the establishment, the drive forward, the monitoring and evaluation of Switzerland for UNHCR’s fundraising strategy
- When needed, accompany donors or prospects to visit field operations
- Ensure an appropriate strategic and tactical response to prospects in the event of humanitarian emergencies
- Support the Foundation team’s efforts to position UNHCR as a “go to” charity brand for the private community in Switzerland, including participation to the organization of events
- Work within UNHCR’s due diligence screening policy and processes for Private Sector Partnerships
- Provide in all circumstances a positive and professional image of Switzerland for UNHCR to donors and prospects
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with a strong interest in a strong non-profit brand and refugee issues with good project management experience and wide network that will be able to consolidate and further develop the current Swiss donors’ portfolio of the Foundation with a particular focus on the French-speaking region of Switzerland.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, professional, results-oriented individual with private sector fundraising experience relevant to the function. Experience with an international NGO or humanitarian organization would be an asset.
- 7 - 8 years’ relevant experience including several at similar level
- Experience and understanding of the humanitarian, development and sustainability sectors
- Graduate or post graduate degree
- Very strong ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Very clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates strong judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Creative and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Very well organized and structured with high attention to details, accuracy and results oriented
- Very strong ability to manage large size projects with delegated budget management
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills in a fast-paced multi-cultural and multilingual environment
- Very good capacity to work autonomously as well as a team player
- Very strong ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders with very strong negotiation and advocacy skills
- Comfortable at participating in the exploration of new areas of activities, challenging ideas and projects
- Very good capacity to use natural leadership to motivate and create partnerships with various stakeholders
- Knowledge, interest and a strong commitment for the work and mission of UNHCR and the refugee cause
- Excellent command of English and French, other Swiss national language (DE/IT) is considered an asset
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office applications
- A track record of negotiating and securing six or seven figure cash donations from foundations, corporations and/or High Net Worth Individuals
- Good knowledge of the Swiss fundraising environment, regulatory framework and market trends
- Ability to explain complex issues to external stakeholders and present the organization and diverse operations in an appealing and concise manner
Interested candidates can send their cover letter and CV to the Swiss Foundation by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, until March 22nd, 2023, mentioning the reference: SPM – CH SR
Only selected candidates will be contacted. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and proud to make diversity a strength.