Médecins sans Frontières Suisse
Médecins Sans Frontières is an independent, international medical and humanitarian organization that provides care to people in need, people affected by natural or man-made disasters, and victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and without regard to race, religion, creed, or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
The MSF movement is structured around 6 operational centers supported by 25 partner sections and offices worldwide. The MSF operational center in Geneva is one of these centers. Together with regional entities (hubs), it coordinates medico-operations in more than 25 countries worldwide in 60 medical projects with more than 8000 employees (segmented into 550 international positions, 5500 national positions & 2000 staff under refugee or under incentive status.
OCG field interventions are carried out through the joint implementation of resources of different natures: human (national and international staff), technical (medical, logistic, supply), and financial.
The availability and quality of these resources are crucial factors in the success of medico-operations. In particular, with regard to human resources, it is essential to ensure an optimum balance between the demands of the Operations for staffing and the supply of Human Resources.
To achieve this balance, it is essential to manage the international succession by having a permanent global vision of both the international staff pools and the positions in the field. The analysis of this global vision must help guide HR global workforce strategies in their mandate to support operations.
In this regard, the Medical Pool & Career Manager plays a key role in the design and monitoring of the global vision of international pools/positions in order to ensure succession management, resource balance, and placement of HR in the field. The role should accompany international staff in the management of their career and skills development according to operational needs and the wishes of the pool members. The Pool & Career Manager integrates into his/her work MSF's commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion as one of the key principles and objectives of the 2020-2023 strategic plan.
- Ensure succession management, and resource balance, mobilize the medical pool and manage the placement of Medical staff in OCG missions’ portfolio.
- Deploy the means and propose the necessary HR actions to maintain a medical pool and develop international medical staff, in line with the evolution of operational needs (quantity and profiles) and according to the DEI principles and objectives.
- Accompany medical staff to build and consolidate their career path and develop their skills in order to meet the HR needs and OCG missions ‘needs.
Management of international staff
- Identify and analyze the need for recruitment of medical staff to ensure the quality and quantity of human resources needed to contribute to the success of medical operations.
- Maintain regular interaction with the recruitment service and Partner Sections to renew the medical pool and communicate opportunities and needs for new and experienced medical staff.
- Maintain a precise knowledge of the members of the medical pool: you carry out debriefings and interviews of international staff and register up-to-date information in the files and in the HRIS.
- Responsible for the application of matching and HR placement procedures, you ensure staffing of medical international staff by identifying and proposing medical profiles adapted to the operational needs defined by the mission/cell while taking into account the eligibility constraints related to each context (e.g. nationalities).
- Ensure integration of MSF's commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion as key principles and objectives of the organization.
Development of the pool's professional skills
- Manage the career path of medical international staff and the development of their skills according to the operational needs and desires of the medical pool members in order to achieve collective organizational performance goals and expand individual employability. You advise, and guide the pool members in their career development with MSF and propose suitable MSF training and support. You coordinate the identification, prioritization, and registration of candidates for learning solutions (training, mentoring, coaching, etc).
- You work in close collaboration with the technical referent and the heads of the medical sector and take part in the reflections around the constitution of the pool and the sector pathway, the level of competencies requested for each position, and the process to assess and validate these competencies.
- You develop and implement tools for talent identification and follow up and you are involved in the validation of potential coordinators.
- You are involved in the validation of national employees in coordination positions and you are involved in the mobility of the national employees of all MSF missions.
- You provide comprehensive pool reports and analysis to the head of the Pool & Career management Unit and to heads of medical sectors.
- You collect and register all useful information concerning the pool and career management and you ensure confidential data’s management.
Contribution to the analysis of current and future needs in the field:
- Maintain good knowledge of operational contexts and missions’ medical HR setup: you are in contact with Operational cells to know the evolution and anticipate the future HR needs, to detect critical positions for which they will be a shortage of skills.
- Monitor and manage the global vision of international medical positions to ensure succession management and resource balance.
Monitoring and analysis of your activity
- Define qualitative and quantitative indicators for monitoring the medical pool of international staff and staffing activities.
- Participate in the development of job tracking and career tracking tools.
Contribution to the development of transversality
- Work and share information and knowledge with other services or departments within the framework of the management of projects / transversal tasks / inter-departmental files.
- Actively participate in the sector committees and provide key data for follow-up by the heads of the sectors (Deputy Medical Director and Head of Medical Sector).
- You can also be requested to be part of recruitment committees and to deliver training sessions.
- As part of the sharing of best practices, you develop initiatives with your counterparts in other MSF sections.
- 3 years of MSF field experience, including preferably Human Resources Coordinator experience
- Strong experience in placement and career advising and development
- Familiar with interview techniques.
- Fluent in both French and English
Personal Abilities & Skills
- Autonomous, organized, and rigorous.
- Good analytical skills and the ability to prioritize.
- Good interpersonal skills and you know how to work effectively in a team.
- Solution-oriented by nature
- Good knowledge of the organization and functioning of MSF is an asset.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles and behavioural commitments
- Good command of computer tools.
Terms of Employment
- Full-time position 100% (40h/week)
- Open-ended contract
- Working place: Geneva, Switzerland
- Ideal start date: As Soon As Possible
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 93’504.- to CHF 107’280.- (salary commensurate with equivalent experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Deadline for application is April 9th, 2023
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.