Médecins sans Frontières Suisse
Context & Mission
Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent humanitarian organization providing medical aid to victims of man-made or natural disasters, epidemics and endemics. Its Operational Centre in Geneva is responsible for medical assistance programmes in 24 countries.
The Head of Philanthropy Diversification and Impact is a central position in the Philanthropy Unit, accountible for the long-term diversification of MSF Switzerlands philanthropy income and for quality of impactful donor offers ensuring long-term support by MSF CH generous donors
The Head of Philanthropy Diversification and Impact will pilot new philanthropy projects for MSF CH and diversify long-term income sources. He/She will also optimise the interaction of the philanthropy unit and other fundraising units with other in-house departments and MSF offices to develop appropriate coverage of financial needs, enable a tailored relationship with MSF donors, and increase the support offered to the team, including by leading the writers’ team and donor-offer tailoring.
PHILANTHROPY IMPACT & OFFERING
High quality donor offering and engagement
- The position holder ensures the overall relevance, timeliness and quality of philanthropy donor offers
- He/she leads the Writing Officer team in content production so that the Philanthropy Advisors are equipped with compelling philanthropy donor offers matching MSF Switzerland and MSF movements most pressing funding needs
- Ensures that Philanthropy Advisors and donors have the relevant information and explanations for in-depth understanding of MSF social mission and related funding needs.
- Responsible for ensuring that donor offers match the interest and passion of MSF Switzerland's most generous donors and that impact and results are reported
- Collaborate closely with the finance department on project funding, funding challenges and financial reporting
- Mobilise the appropriate echelons within MSF CH and the MSF movement to enhance representation to donors and partners and elevate the overall quality of stewardship and acquisition and identify the appropriate speakers and interlocutors for donor events (focus on improving donor journeys) as well as operational/program briefings to the team (focus on building knowledge).
- Coordinate knowledge transfer and philanthropy donor offering during emergencies
- Facilitate the use of new technology in philanthropy communication
- With the head of unit, identify, facilitate, and enable on-the-job learning opportunities for the team (gap-filling and detachments), in line with their individual professional development objectives
- Act as operational information referent for the Philanthropy Unit and other Fundraising Units
Writers’ Team coordination and management
- Supervise, guide and monitor the work of the writers’ team
- Monitor and track adequation between support given and both donor patterns and acquisition.
- Support team members in reaching their objectives and in professional growth, including by monitoring yearly performance objectives and professional development objectives.
- Identify Human Resources needs (employees, volunteers) within her/his team and ensure their recruitment and onboarding.
The Head of Philanthropy Diversification ensures that MSF Switzerland receives an increasing amount of philanthropy funding from new and innovative funding sources. He/she advises and support the fundraising teams in harvesting these new opportunities and monitors progress. He/she leads MSF Switzerland in spearheading philanthropy innovation for the benefit of the MSF movement.
- Steers, implements, and develops an Islamic Philanthropy Project for MSF CH consisting in drawing income from Islamic charity and finance instruments
- As the project leader, coordinates stakeholders from the relevant units, departments and MSF branches (fundraising, communication, MSF governance, etc)
- Highlight compliance needs with existing Scholars’ guidelines and identifies areas of work Identifies then monitors progress and shortfalls of MSF and suggest appropriate way forward.
- Monitors involvement of other western aid actors in Islamic Philanthropy. Looks into identified initiatives and new ones.
- Sets up partnerships or direct instruments to attract Islamic Philanthropy returns (Zakat, Sadaqa, Wakf, Sukuk, Purification money).
- Maintains a comprehensive list of relevant fora for MSF CH to participate in, both in and out of
- Ensures MSF is represented in the community in a way that is accurate and engaging (external) and links with other relevant entities or platforms.
- Ensures MSF CH is part of the overall MSF efforts on Islamic Philanthropy and contributes to knowledge sharing.
- Active Member of the MSF Islamic Philanthropy task force and/or steering committee. Works with the support of the OCP Islamic Philanthropy manager.
- Steers, implements, and develops a blockchain philanthropy project for MSF CH consisting in drawing income from NFTs, and setting up relevant mechanisms to benefit from cryptocurrencies when donated and/or collected.
- Coordinates the international project stakeholders from within MSF Switzerland and other MSF sections
- Explore the options for developing and implementing a campaign around a curated NFT collection (either donated by a partner or developed from our own content) to sell and/or auction in order to benefit our organisation. Manage the campaign.
- Sets up the possibility to accept donations in cryptocurrencies with conversion mechanisms to minimise speculation/volatility and identifies collaborations aiming at generating related income.
- Contributes to developing and sharing knowledge about blockchain philanthropy within MSF CH and the movement. Participates in the relevant internal and external foras.
- Collaborates with the Digital Unit and look into joint initiatives and specific collaborations.
- Contribute to the organisational knowledge about the targeted demographics and ensure restitution, analysis, and preservation of institutional memory.
- Keeps informed of market trends and shares them with the team.
Other diversification projects
- Develop proposals and pitches for other innovative partnerships, as well as for maximizing potential with existing partners, in collaboration with the philanthropy unit team.
- Manage other innovative diversification projects aimed at long-term income
KEY ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT
- Manage temporarily or permanently top major donor accounts with an emphasis on personalized relationships (1 to 1) and engagement around MSF social mission in order to ensure long-term support
- University degree in Business Management, Marketing, Communications, Political Science, Law, International Relations, Medical field or equivalent
- Experience in working with MSF both at field and headquarter’s level
- Experience of working with different MSF offices across the movement
- Demonstratable record of growing responsibilities and increased seniority in program/operations.
- Demonstratable record of successful acquisition and management in Philanthropy. 6 to 7 digit figures
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Philanthropy
- Minimum of 5 years experience in Operations
- Experience in Mentoring, coaching, and/or training an asset
- French (mother tongue equivalent)
- English (very good working knowledge)
- German an asset
- Arabic an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Negotiation and persuasive skills
- Strategic and visionary
- Dynamic, proactive and autonomous
- Creative, Innovative, and a risk taker
- Rigorous and good organizational skills
- Empathic, enthusiastic, optimistic
- Team spirit
Skills/ Technical competencies
- Excellent representation and relationship management skills
- Proven writing and reporting skills
- Excellent in oral public presentations
- Demonstratable knowledge of Islamic Philanthropy,
- Demonstratable knowledge of blockchain philanthropy
Terms of Employment
- Full-time position 100% (40h/week)
- Open-ended contract
- Working place : Geneva,
- Ideal start date: September 18th, 2023
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 109’560.- to CHF 124’980.- (salary commensurate with equivalent experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Deadline for application is July 16th, 2023. Nevertheless, we reserve the right to close the position early if we consider the number and quality of applications received to be sufficient.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, ethnicities, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.