Better Cotton Initiative
- Starting Date: Asap
- Contract type: Open ended/permanent
- Salary: CHF 65’470 or £31,100 (Depending on experience)
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland and London, UK
- Application closing date: Midnight 04.12.2022 CET
About Better Cotton
Better Cotton is the world’s largest cotton sustainability programme. Our mission: to help cotton communities survive and thrive, while protecting and restoring the environment. In challenging times, we are meeting the challenge head on. Through our network of field-level partners we have trained over 2.5 million farmers - from the smallest to the largest - in 23 countries in more sustainable farming practices. A quarter of the world’s cotton is now grown under the Better Cotton Standard. We have united the industry’s stakeholders behind our efforts, from ginners and spinners to brand owners, civil society organisations and governments. Everyone who cares about cotton and its sustainable future can now be part of something better.
About the role
We are searching for an experienced Internal Communications Specialist to manage internal communications for our organisation and be the spokesperson for our human resource team. Supporting the Director of Communications and Senior HR Manager, you will develop and implement effective communications strategies and initiatives to support our efforts to enhance employee engagement, retaining and developing Better Cotton’s talent. You will be responsible for delivery of objectives in line with wider Communication and HR workplans.
Additional responsibilities you can expect are managing content for internal employee communications, such as memos, newsletters, and intranet updates; informing employees about Better Cotton news and events; and reporting on organisational milestones, goals, and projects.
If the thought of translating strategy to action and bringing key activities to life through connecting with Better Cotton employees and leaders, seeking ways to leverage technology and data to ensure the right balance between messaging options, and supporting strategic efforts across the entire organisation energizes and excites you – then we want to talk to you!
The ideal candidate for this position has outstanding written and verbal communications skills. A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or a relevant field is required. We expect you to have knowledge of various HR functions. We want to see a committed and approachable individual and be impressed with your character and skills. The goal will be to provide excellent assistance and support to all staff and contribute to making Better Cotton a better place to work.
Areas that play to your strengths
(All the responsibilities we’ll trust you with)
- Develop clear, effective content to build employee awareness of initiatives such as wellness, compensation and benefits, onboarding, performance management, learning, training, career development, and employee engagement opportunities.
- Ensure a comprehensive internal focused strategy for all communications and HR efforts and initiatives.
- Assist other team members with HR and internal communication project rollouts, events, and internal-facing campaigns and initiatives.
- Provide HR and Communication Team partnership and support with writing, editing, and producing messaging for various employee-focused campaigns in support of key organisational priorities - including talking points, memos, promotional materials.
- Work closely with our leadership team to help employees understand Better Cotton’s objectives.
- Respond to employee inquiries related to internal communications and address any issues they may be experiencing to help maintain positive employee relations.
- Keep employees updated on important news, events, and deadlines.
- Plan, edit, and revise content for various internal communications channels
- Partner with internal and external partners on design (host videos, articles, etc.).
- Understand and follow industry trends, both in HR / employee engagement and the public relations, corporate communications world.
- Develop partnerships with other internal communications stakeholders and subject matter experts across the organisation.
- Build meaningful relationships with employees through transparent, thoughtful, and resonant messaging.
- Identify opportunity areas for improvement for communications tools, messaging, frameworks, processes, or channels.
- Use metrics to inform the success of campaigns.
- Support the day-to-day operations, maintenance and troubleshooting of the HR webpage.
About your skills, knowledge and experience
(proven performance in)
|· Proven experience of 4-5 years in Internal and/or HR communications or a similar role|
|· Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or a relevant field|
|· Knowledge of HR functions (recruitment, pay & benefits, training, and development, etc)|
|· Outstanding written and verbal communications skills with strong attention to detail|
|· Fluency in English. Advanced French is desirable.|
|· Strong ability to communicate and present effectively in a fast-paced environment|
|· Ability to build effective, clear, succinct, well-designed presentations in PowerPoint or Google Slides|
|· Ability to organise and oversee multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines (as well as stakeholder expectations)|
|· Advanced understanding of key messaging differences to promote an employer brand while staying consistent to an overall corporate brand|
|· Demonstrated knowledge of, and current with, industry trends to ensure messaging matches marketplace and what employees are seeking from an employer|
|· Ability to develop and implement data-backed campaigns to increase awareness of career opportunities, and the ‘why’ Better Cotton employer of choice messaging for employees|
|· Demonstrated partnership and teaming skills across multiple stakeholder groups|
|· A well-developed understanding and ability to write and create content for the digital world and emerging platforms|
|· Strong experience and skills in several of the following areas: strategic, persuasive copy writing and email marketing; website and CRM management; content creation for the digital world|
|· Experience building internal marketing campaigns|
|· Problem-solving and decision-making aptitude|
|· Strong ethics and reliability|
|· Experience in remote team support to several countries|
|· Interest in and commitment to sustainability|
|· Experience of working in a small to medium size not for profit organisation|
|· A good sense of humour, positive attitude, committed to continuous improvement|
You will work full-time (40 hours per week) and will be based in Geneva, Switzerland or London, UK.
Better Cotton offers flexible working, with core hours being 10am – 4pm and the option to work from home one to three days a week. Travel might be required on occasional basis.
What makes us different?
- The chance to contribute to transforming the cotton sector and helping cotton communities survive and thrive, while protecting and restoring the environment.
- A flexible work environment with colleagues from 14 countries.
- The opportunity to become part of a growing business that pushes you to excel every day while having a positive impact on others and on the planet.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
Send us by or before 04.12.2022 a detailed CV in English and a brief cover letter (2 pages maximum) via this link. In your cover letter, please include an explanation of why your experience is specifically relevant to this role at Better Cotton. We want to see your personal style – what makes you tick and why you think your next opportunity is here with us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Better Cotton is currently unable to provide sponsorship for work permits, and candidates need to have a pre-existing right to work in the location where they will be based.
Better Cotton is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to good practice and transparency in the management of natural, human, and financial resources.
Better Cotton has a zero-tolerance approach to any attitudes or behaviours that put children or adults at risk of harm. Safeguarding incidents are acts of serious misconduct and are grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including, dismissal and referral to relevant authorities for criminal prosecution. Therefore, all offers of employment are subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks.