Lutheran World Federation
The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) is a Communion of 150 Churches in 99 countries. The role of the Communion Office (CO) is to serve these churches in different ways. The CO has three departments, the Department for Planning and Coordination (DPC), the Department for Theology, Mission and Justice (DTMJ) and the Department for World Service as well the Office of the General Secretary.
The Department for World Service (hereafter referred to as LWF World Service) is responsible for carrying out diaconal response to humanitarian emergencies and development needs on behalf of the Lutheran World Federation - a Communion of Churches (LWF). In pursuance of its responsibility and based on its strategy, LWF World Service:
- Operates together with and on behalf of the LWF member churches
- Provides support to refugees, returnees, internally displaced people, their host communities and communities at risk, emphasizing livelihoods, quality services, protection and social cohesion
- Establishes and runs country programs and emergency operations
- Engages in cooperation and partnership with governmental and non-governmental organizations, relevant United Nations agencies and other structures involved in humanitarian and development programs as they link to the WS mandate and represents LWF in the ACT Alliance.
The International Programs Team is responsible for bringing the Communion Office and its field operations together, ensuring an environment of coherence, support and mutual accountability between them. It is comprised of a Head of International Programs, Regional Program Coordinators, a Global Humanitarian Coordinator, and Support Officers (several of whom are working remotely).
Under the supervision of the Head of International Programs, the Support Officer provides World Service, in particular the International Programs Team, with content and administrative support to enable the department to successfully achieve its responsibilities and programmes. The position is responsible for preparing and documenting World Service meetings relating to the International Programs Team and the Director’s office
• Preferably university degree in humanitarian or development work, and/or other related field.
• Proficient in English required
• Proficient in French and conversant in Spanish desirable.
• Strong computer literacy.
Additional Study and Experience
• At least 3 years of experience involving project / content support preferably with faith-based/ecumenical organization in an international setting.
• Proven experience working with the Microsoft Office Suite.
• Proven ability to interact and work in various cultural environments.
• Interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience in minute taking.
• Ability to work with changing priorities and tight deadlines.
LWF Core Skills
• Working effectively with others/ Level resource
• Analytical thinking/ Level advanced
• Initiative/ Level advanced
• Leadership, coordination/ Level resource
• Achieving results, organization/ Level resource
• Accountability, continuous improvement/ Level resource
• Information management/ Level advanced
• Data management/ Level advanced
• Administration assistance/ Level advanced
• Communication/ Level advanced
Position Environment and Dimensions
The position holder provides coordination and content support to World Service / the International Programs Team, under the supervision of the Head of International Programs and in joint responsibility with other support officers as per task / agreement.
The position requires daily/regular coordination with the members of the International Programs team.
• Internally, mainly interacts with WS International Programs Team and country programs, the World Service Director, WS Office Manager, the Security Manager (for crisis management) and other teams as necessary.
• Externally, mainly with related agencies / member of World Service governance.
In consultation with the Head of International Programs, is responsible for content support in areas such, but not limited to:
- Organization of major meetings, including the Committee for World Service (governance body) and the Global Management Team Meeting (annually), prepares program/agenda; takes minutes, ensures information sharing.
- Regular meetings in the International Programs Team (agenda, minutes, information sharing) and in World Service as per need.
- PPT presentations and relevant meeting material / exhibits (maps, flowcharts, timelines, organograms).
- Updates specific sites (SharePoint) and tools (Operations Manual) as per need and use by WS and the IPT.
- Preparation of reports and communication to the field.
- Log keeper in the LWF Crisis Management Team.
- Coordinates World Service participation in LWF wide events as per need.
In addition, the Support Officer is expected to function as the backup for the Office Manager during annual leaves / absences.
As may be assigned by the Head of International Programs.
To carry out the support functions within the given time schedules, assessing matters to be dealt with in view of frequent changes of priorities and to ensure that all relevant parties are kept effectively informed within the given deadlines.
To be able to manage the time to focus on content tasks which can easily be deprioritized due to ad-hoc and last minute requests.