6 months (renewable once) Internships at MSF are part of an intra- or extra-academic course, or according to federal professional integration measures lien Etat de Genève : engager un-e stagiaire. A tripartite internship agreement is mandatory.
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international, independent medical and humanitarian organization that provides care to populations in need, to people affected by natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflicts, without discrimination and regardless of their race, religion, belief or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
The Legal Department provides advice and general/private legal support to the operations and headquarters. The Legal Intern will be assigned to the thematic poles 3 and 4. The function can be part of an academic course (‘cursus intra ou extra académique’) or a federal program on professional integration. A placement as Legal Intern requires a 3-party convention with the academic institute or federal program concerned.
Tasks and responsibilities
Legal Support (60% of the time)
- Management of the database:
- Collection of registration and renewal MOUs from departments or field;
- Update of the tracking table;
- Management of the legal Toolbox;
- Legal support in the field and at headquarters:
- Redaction of commercial contracts and agreements, and review before signature;
- Support missions in the management of legal files, including files related to Labour law (HR disputes and/or HR litigation) ;
- Research and drafting of notes:
- Various legal research under different legislations and drafting of legal memos and notes;
- Thematic research on the contexts of intervention;
- Drafting of memos and matter files.
Administrative Support and Organization of the Department (20% of the time)
- Preparation of field visits for OCG legal advisors:
- Gathering of the necessary documentation (visit report, national laws, country analysis, etc.).
- Organization of meetings:
- Preparation of the agenda
- Drafting of minutes
- Management of the departmental database:
- Collecting, filing and updating documents
- Dissemination of tools created by the Legal Department
- Update of monitoring tools (SHIELD, country table, matter files)
Legal Dossiers (20% of the time)
- Depending on academic requirements, the Intern, during the period of internship (from 6 months to 12 months) might be expected to work on a specific Legal Dossier. The dossier selected should combine (a) the legal needs of the Department, (b) academic requirements such as the need to complete a thesis and (c) if possible, a link to the future career of the Intern.
- The topic will be selected within the first month of employment and agreed with the Legal Focal Point, ensuring that there is a clear deliverable (written report, thesis…).
- The final deliverable will be presented to the Legal Department at the end of the period of employment.
- Have a tripartite internship agreement
- University degree in law – Masters level in private law (in progress or acquired) / student at the CRFPA / other equivalent profile
- Fluent English and French (written and spoken).
- No specific requirements in terms of work experience but having had 6 months experience in a law firm is an advantage
- Strong team spirit and ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Ability to synthesize and analyse, autonomy, writing skills, precision, time management, responsiveness
Terms of employment
- A tripartite internship agreement is mandatory
- 6 to 12 months, according to internship agreement
- Full time (40h/week)
- Based in Geneva
- Start date : January 5th 2023
- Gross monthly remuneration 2'000.- CHF
Please send a CV (2 pages maximum) and a cover letter (1 page maximum).
Closing date for applications November 27th, 2022.
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.