Location: Any MSF office*
Contract: Fixed-term at 40%
Duration: 5,5 months
Starting date: February or March 2023
*By default, the successful candidate will be offered a contract in the MSF office of their country of residence at the time of application.
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 24 sections, 25 associations and other offices together. Registered in Switzerland, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) develops medical guidelines for use in resource-limited environments. These guidelines draw from practical experience and scientific data collected in MSF’s projects, as well as evidence published by the World Health Organization and other leading medical institutions and scientific literature. Based on its experience gathered in it projects, and in the absence of relevant documents from other agencies, MSF has been producing medical practical guides for more than 25 years. The International Guideline Publication (IGP) team has been established to ensure the quality production of MSF guidelines.
International guidelines include 2 categories:
- Public guidelines: for use within and outside MSF, available through medicalguidelines.msf.org and MSF’s international guidelines application. MSF’s public guidelines are used by other non-governmental organisations and international agencies, thereby contributing to enhancing MSF's profile.
- Internal guidelines: for use by MSF only.
There are currently about 30 different guidelines, some of them are produced in several languages (English, French, Spanish, Arabic).
So far only ad hoc communication activities have been executed. The use of the site and app is monitored through Google analytics.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The communication officer is part of the International Guideline Publication team of MSF International. He/she reports to IGP manager and works closely with all IGP team members and stakeholders. He/she liaises with MSF international office’s communication team.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
This position is created to increase the readership, understanding about and the visibility of MSF’s International guidelines in and outside of MSF by 1) developing a communication strategy; 2) developing (example) communication materials
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with IGP manager to develop an effective year-round communication strategy
1- Determine the goal
2- Assess current communication activities
3- Define the target audiences
4- Identify communication channels
5- Set milestones – recurring communication activities (why, what, how and target audience)
6- Create key messages about the international guidelines (‘why/what/how/who texts’)
7- Create a work plan
- Set up monitoring and analysing activities to monitor and analyse the effect of the proposed communication strategy and activities;
- Develop, write and edit (visual) communications materials for internal and external use, time permitting;
- Ensure that all above aligns with MSF’s brand and language style guides;
VI. PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
▪ Relevant degree in communications and minimum 2 years in similar positions or 5+ years experience in a similar position;
▪ Strong commitment to MSF values;
▪ Ability to understand the specific international guidelines’s user needs;
▪ Ability to map, visualise and include all stakeholders;
▪ Strong interpersonal and organisational skills;
▪ Exceptional writing skills: being able to compose engaging and accurate content;
▪ Quality driven;
▪ Problem solving skills;
▪ Ability to work collaboratively with different stakeholders (remotely);
▪ Ability to work and report independently;
▪ Fluent in English; Arabic and/or French is an advantage;
▪ Knowledge of Google data studio or similar data tracking and analysing tool;
▪ Knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator and After Effects is an asset;
▪ Knowledge of Drupal is an asset.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.