Human Resources Manager (80-100%)
The World Organisation Against Torture Office in Geneva is seeking to recruit a highly motivated, open and versatile individual, with a commitment to human rights and strong people skills and expertise in human resource management, to fill the new role of Human Resources Manager at the OMCT.
The position is a 80-100% position, based in the OMCT offices in Geneva.
ABOUT THE OMCT
The OMCT works with around 200 member organisations which constitute its SOS-Torture Network, to end torture, fight impunity and protect human rights defenders worldwide. Together, we make up the largest global group actively standing up to torture in more than 90 countries. Helping local voices be heard, we support our vital partners in the field and provide direct assistance to victims. Our international secretariat is based in Geneva (ca. 20 staff), with offices in Brussels (ca. 12 staff) and Tunis (ca. 25 staff, has a local HR officer).
The OMCT is recruiting for a new position in Geneva - which is part of a team across OMCT offices - to reinforce its capacity in human resources management - primarily of its Geneva and Brussels offices.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking for an HR manager to manage all aspects of human resources practices and processes.
What is an HR manager? To us, an HR manager is the go-to person for all employee-related questions. This means that your HR manager duties will involve managing activities and processes such as job design, recruitment, employee relations, employee well-being, performance management, training & development, among others. The OMCT is currently in a transition period due to rapid growth over the past years. We are looking for a person who will bring our human resource management to a new level through their expertise, their experience, their ability to fully dedicate their time to HR management, and their competencies and qualities as an open-minded, curious, social and discrete person who genuinely cares for their colleagues.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Develop, implement, and monitor overall HR policies, systems, and processes across the organization, including on recruitment, onboarding, well-being, performance management, development, compensation, HR data, etc.
- Manage recruitment and selection processes;
- Support managers in questions of people management by addressing demands, grievances or other issues;
- Nurture a positive working environment;
- Be a reference person for staff in case of HR questions and issues;
- Develop and implement initiatives to support staff well-being across all offices;
- Oversee and manage a performance appraisal system that drives high performance and employee satisfaction (including of senior management);
- Assess training needs and organize training & development programs (including built on internal know-how);
- Work closely with and supervise the Administration Officer in Geneva on matters of HR administration (obtention of work permits, contracts of interns, etc.)
- Ensure legal compliance throughout human resource management under Swiss law and in collaboration with local colleagues for the Brussels and Tunis offices.
The HR Manager will work under the supervision of the Director of Operations, based in Geneva, and in close coordination with the Heads of Offices in Brussels and Tunis. The primary role of this post is to significantly strengthen and lead OMCT’s human resource management capacity in its Geneva and Brussels offices, as well as to provide support on strategic human resource questions to the Tunis office.
- Proven work experience of at least five years as HR manager, with at least some work experience in Switzerland (ideally in an NGO or small to medium-sized company) required.
- Degree in Human Resources or related field.
- Good language skills in English and French, both written and spoken.
- High ethical standards and proven commitment to core human rights principles, the rule of law and social justice causes.
- Excellent active listening, people management and presentation skills.
- Extensive knowledge of HR policies, processes and best practices.
- Knowledge of Swiss labour law.
- Discretion in dealing with sensitive information and situations that are involved in HR management.
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the organisation and with people from different backgrounds.
- Initiative and motivation: Ability to use own initiative and work independently within agreed frameworks; motivated by achieving results and supporting colleagues.
- Organization and big picture: strong organizational and prioritization skills, as well as an ability to see and think on a system level.
- Ideally, coaching skills and/or expertise and experience in conflict prevention and resolution.
The OMCT is an equal opportunities employer.
We offer competitive salaries for Human Rights NGOs in Geneva with a minimum of 25 days holidays, usual social benefits, and the possibility for part-time working from home, as well as 5 days of paid leave for professional development.
Applications comprising a cover letter and a CV with at least two references should be addressed to OMCT International Secretariat with the subject “OMCT – Human Resources Manager”, by email to email@example.com.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a short conversation which, if successful, will lead to an interview with the recruitment panel and potentially a written test.
Starting date: ideally as soon as possible, latest 1 January 2024.
Deadline for the applications: 24 September 2023