The Gold Standard Foundation
This is a full-time position responsible for working on the development and piloting of new tools and methodological approaches (including remote sensing, proximal sensors, and models) for forestry, agriculture, blue carbon, and biodiversity. Applications range from carbon credit projects to impact claims (i.e., investment funds, landscape approaches, and insetting projects). The officer will report directly to the Senior Land use and Forests Innovation Manager, who is leading on the development and implementation of a LUF and biodiversity strategy for Gold Standard. This role will provide the right candidate with opportunities to understand how to drive finance to achieve greater impacts on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with a focus on biodiversity and land use & forestry.
WHAT WE DO
Gold Standard is a standards body and thought leader that promotes the best that can be achieved in climate and development projects. It was established in 2003 by WWF and other international NGOs as a best practice standard to ensure projects that reduced carbon emissions under the UN’s Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) also delivered sustainable development benefits. Today, our standard, ‘Gold Standard for the Global Goals’, allows climate and development initiatives within carbon markets, corporate supply chains, and sustainable finance to manage, measure and maximise their impacts toward the Net Zero ambition of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals. Certification against the standard provides the confidence that these results are measured and verified, enabling credible impact reporting. ISEAL Code Compliant and backed by a broad NGO Supporter Network, Gold Standard has 2000+ projects underway in over 90 countries, creating billions of dollars of shared value from climate and development action worldwide.
For almost 20 years, Gold Standard has shown how carbon finance can achieve its highest potential. We’ve created innovative new standards, programmes and tools that raise the bar for quality across a broader range of applications than carbon markets. We focus on those that have the most promise to contribute to our vision and mission, bringing them to market with the requisite planning and resources.
We build on our reputation for quality and rigour with more robust measurement of outcomes, stronger safeguards and greater impact across the Sustainable Development Goals. Our objective is to make rigour simpler and more achievable at scale.
We work with key partners who share our goals and complement our strengths. Our partnership strategy aims to move beyond working opportunistically as a delivery partner in favor of collaborating in long-term strategic synergy.
We were established to bring confidence, trust, and accountability to carbon markets. We will continue to take strides to improve transparency in our own processes, in the broader market and in non-market mechanisms.
The Gold Standard Foundation is looking to build our team with exceptional people who are excited and driven to shape and deliver this ambition and uphold our values. The Gold Standard Foundation now seeks a highly motivated individual to join our sustainable finance and innovation team.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Coordinating the implementation of innovative LUF and biodiversity pilots as directed by the Senior Land Use and Forests Innovation Manager
- Providing technical opinion on remote sensing and statistical approaches applied to LUF and biodiversity innovation work
- Serving as an expert on remote sensing and statistical approaches on LUF and biodiversity for internal and external stakeholders
- Conducting background research and provide expert inputs on remote sensing and statistical analysis on LUF and biodiversity innovation developments
- Coordinating the review process of new methodologies/tools review and approval with internal and external stakeholders, prepare draft findings, including inputs from expert reviewers as directed by the Senior Land Use and Forests Innovation Manager
- Conducting background research and provide technical opinion on technical documents as needed for governing committees review and approval including agenda and other supporting material
- Representing Gold Standard at key external events, including conferences and workshops from time to time as required
YOU WILL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Master’s or higher degree in Remote Sensing applied to Forestry or Agriculture with experience in climate change and statistical analysis
- 2-4 years of experience in climate-smart technologies and practices in research and implementation. Candidates with experience as a carbon project developer and/or auditor is an advantage.
- 2-4 years of experience conducting remote sensing analysis (active and passive sensors) in forestry and agriculture applications.
- 2-4 years of experience conducting statistical analysis in the context of forestry, agriculture, biodiversity, and/or blue carbon (mangroves, seagrasses, others)
- Deep understanding of climate-smart technologies and practices (e.g. cover cropping, reduced/zero-till, crop rotation) and land-use, forestry afforestation/reforestation (A/R), improved forest management (IFM)
- Experience in biodiversity monitoring is desirable; understanding of biodiversity monitoring is required.
- Understanding of blue carbon technologies and practices is desirable.
- Wide knowledge of climate change, environmental markets and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work with a range of team members based all around the world. Fluency in English is essential (written and verbal).
- Ability to legally work in region of residence.
YOU WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN AND GROW BY:
- Having the opportunity to develop and innovate on new tools and methodological approaches (including remote sensing, proximal sensors, and models) for forestry, agriculture, and biodiversity
- Developing an understanding how to drive finance to achieve greater biodiversity impact and support new approaches for support sustainable land use and forestry
- Working within an internationally leading environmental standard at the cutting edge of climate and sustainable development action.
- Building a broad partner network across government, international organisations, businesses and other stakeholder groups.
WHAT WE OFFER:
The salary range for this role will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Other benefits to working at Gold Standard include:
- A mission-driven organisation working at the leading edge of climate and sustainability
- Rewarding work in a dynamic non-profit environment
- A collaborative workplace within a multicultural team
- An ambitious, agile and flexible environment
Applications for this role will close on Friday 19th August. Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Please submit a 1-page cover letter explaining why you want to work for the Gold Standard and a CV through our recruitment portal.
Gold Standard provides equal opportunity for all job applicants and employees and is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination. We are dedicated to an inclusive culture and we strive to create a workplace where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.