UPR Info is currently recruiting an intern within the Policy and Advocacy Programme from 23 January – 23 July 2023. Internships are vital to UPR Info and we strive to provide a unique learning experience that fully engages interns in meaningful work. Reporting to the Programme Manager, interns at UPR Info are given significant responsibilities, including tasks to perform both independently and in cooperation with other team members.
The internship will include, but will not be limited to the following tasks:
- assisting with communications; writing news articles and concept notes, preparing infographics, drafting press releases, and drafting social media messaging;
- assisting with all logistical aspects related to the preparation of the UPR Pre-sessions, including drafting invitations, organizing meetings, and liaising with stakeholders (civil society, National Human Rights Institutions, and States);
- contributing to the development of advocacy and training materials;
- Supporting research related to Programme projects.
In addition, the intern will monitor and report on the UPR Working Group and Human Rights Council sessions.
To be considered for an internship at UPR Info, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a bachelor’s or graduate programme (second university degree or Master's degree, or higher), at the time of application in one of the following fields: human rights, international relations, international law, or international development;
- Valid Swiss permit for the duration of the internship;
- Interest in international human rights mechanisms, the United Nations system, and the Universal Periodic Review (related experience would be an asset);
- Excellent IT skills including a good command of Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Strong interest and experience in social media communications;
- Experience in event coordination and logistics;
- Native proficiency in oral and written English or French (with good working knowledge of the other). Written knowledge of other UN languages is a strong asset, especially Spanish; and
- Able to work well in a team and adapt to an international working environment.
This internship is based in Geneva and is full time for a period of approximately 6 months from January-July 2022. As the proud initiator of the We Pay Our Interns initiative, UPR Info will provide a stipend for the duration of the internship.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the profile requirements can apply using Jotform. Only applications received through this platform will be accepted. Please include your CV (2 pages maximum) and cover letter (1 page maximum) in PDF format. The application process will close on Friday, 2 December at 17h and applications received after this time will not be considered. Only applicants who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that only applicants who are enrolled in a post-secondary degree program for the duration of the internship will be considered.
Who we are
UPR Info is a non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) located in Geneva, Switzerland that strives to strengthen human rights through the Universal Periodic Review (UPR). UPR Info supports the inclusive and effective participation of stakeholders throughout the UPR process, including United Nations (UN) Member States, NGOs, National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) and civil society, and to provide these critical actors with the capacity-building tools to improve human rights on the ground.
Founded in February 2008, UPR Info has held Special Consultative status with ECOSOC since 2012. UPR Info remains the only organization in the world that focuses specifically on the UPR process. UPR Info addresses all human rights issues and all countries without discrimination or politicization, and this extensive experience is widely recognized by actors including UN agencies, Member States, NGOs, NHRIs and academics. As an impartial, non-advocacy NGO, UPR Info has the rare opportunity to work together with civil society and governments, bringing these actors together and building trust among them.