We are looking for a new Administrative Assistant (intern) to grow our team and support our activities in the coming months! Interested? You will find all the information in the offer below. We look forward to your application!
Terms of Reference & Vacancy Notice
Aroha Internship Program
- Role: Administrative Assistant (Internship)
- Function: Participate in Aroha’s Internship Program and contribute to the work and activities of one or more of Aroha’s key projects
- Aroha Work Area: Administration
- Start Date: 1st or 15th March 2023 (to be agreed)
- Duration: 4-months with flexibility/possibility of extension
- Place of Work: Partially remote with 1 day in office per week
- Compensation/Benefits: CHF 750 - 1000 monthly stipend
- Occupation Rate: 60 - 80%
- Supervisors: Administrative Officer
- Contract Type: Fixed-term staff employment contract for internships/trainees
- Contact / Apply to: CV and Cover letter to send to firstname.lastname@example.org and registration through this form
- Application Deadline: 10 February 2023
Aroha was established with its seat in Geneva in 2017 as an independent, international non-profit organization operating worldwide. Aroha aims to avert climate chaos by mobilizing actions towards limiting global warming to 1.5ºC, enhancing protection of vulnerable communities and ecosystems, and maximizing benefits of the transition to a climate resilient future. Towards these objectives, Aroha operates in partnership with public and private entities across four principal work domains:
- Policy Shift: Contributing to the development of policies to ensure action consistent with averting climate chaos;
- Financing and Implementation: Contributing to the effective financing and supporting the implementation of actions to avert climate chaos, including through the work of the Financial Future Center (FFC), hosted at Aroha;
- Communications and Partnerships: Contributing to awareness and understanding and developing and sustaining partnerships vital to averting climate chaos;
- Administration: Supporting Aroha’s programs in the policy, financing and implementation, and communications and partnerships domains with effective internal finance and administration systems.
The purpose of Aroha’s Internship Program is to provide an early professional experience for participating students through active engagement in the daily working life of the global programs of a Geneva-based non-profit organization with collaborations worldwide. The Internship Program benefits the work of Aroha for which participating interns are compensated according to a flat-rate monthly stipend.
Under Aroha’s Internship Program, the Administrative Assistant (Intern) will support the work and fulfillment of the mission of Aroha, as well as one or more of the organization’s main work pillars. For this assignment, the Administrative Assistant’s (Intern) main pillar of focus will be “Administration”.
The named supervisors will direct, supervise and monitor the work of the Administrative Assistant (Intern). Participants in Aroha’s Internship Program are expected to also undertake work autonomously in carrying out tasks within the scope of the duties and responsibilities foreseen for each specific internship assignment. Subject to internal reorganization of Aroha, the supervision arrangement may alter during the course of the internship assignment and the Administrative Assistant (Intern) will be duly advised in advance.
Duties and Responsibilities
As detailed below, the Administrative Assistant (Intern) will focus on contributing to Aroha’s work including in the following areas:
- Administration: Provide the administrative support necessary to ensure the effective running of Aroha’s operations. This can include contracting service providers, supporting the preparation of travel arrangements, managing correspondence, and arranging meetings, among others.
Additionally, the Administrative Assistant (Intern) may be requested to perform any other relevant tasks of an organizational or substantive nature as directed by the supervisors according to evolving Aroha programmatic and project needs.
Currently enrolled in relevant studies in a master’s level program; holding a relevant master’s degree and pursuing an internship as a requirement to start a new program (must be attested by the concerned training institute); or in certain cases, holding a relevant master’s degree and pursuing a professional/social reintegration internship falling under a federal or cantonal legal authority. Relevant studies include: Business Administration, International Affairs/Relations, International Development Studies, Public Policy, Environmental Studies, or related fields. In line with the internship regulations in effect in the canton of Geneva, student participants shall take part in the Internship Program as part of their studies, or as a precondition to enter a program. An agreement shall be signed between the student, the university and Aroha. Professional or social reinsertion internships must fall under a federal or cantonal legal authority.
Previous work experience or demonstrated interest in nonprofit operations, sustainable development, climate change and/or environmental protection policy. Experience in an international organization, the nonprofit sector and/or working in/with least developed countries is an asset.
Competencies, Skills & Languages
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Google Suite;
- Social media (LinkedIn, Twitter, TikTok, etc.);
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to identify clear objectives, prioritize effectively, and use time efficiently;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different cultures, as well as individually;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Native proficiency in English is required, and the ability to communicate professionally in French and/or in another UN language is an asset.
The initial contract duration stated in the Summary section may be subject to extension, although any extension is dependent on work performance, program needs, available finance and other factors. Aroha internships are of a minimum of 2 months in duration and may be extended up to a maximum of 12 months, working on an occupation rate basis of 40%.
Working Hours & Modalities
60% working basis of 24 gross working hours, divided into 3 days of 8 hours (unless otherwise agreed with the supervisors) or 80% working basis of 32 gross working hours, divided into 4 days of 8 hours (unless otherwise agreed with the supervisors). Any other working basis is subject to a separate agreement with Aroha.
The Administrative Assistant (Intern) may generally work 1 day remote/from home and remaining days at Aroha’s office (subject to agreement with the supervisors). The Administrative Assistant (Intern) is expected to work during Aroha core business hours of 10am – 4pm.
The employment arrangement is subject to an initial 2 weeks trial period, during which time either party may decide to freely discontinue the agreement with 7 days’ notice.
Under Aroha’s Internship Program a stipend of CHF 750 per month (total monthly compensation for a 60% basis) or CHF 1000 per month (total monthly compensation for a 80% basis) is provided.
A contribution to mandatory Swiss/Geneva social security insurances is partially deducted from the stipend amount while Aroha also assumes the cost of a share of these charges over and above the stipend amount.
Accommodation & Travel
Interns must arrange for their own accommodation. They do not normally travel but may be required to conduct work at locations around Geneva, outside of Aroha offices. Aroha does not cover transportation-related expenses to/from Geneva for deployment, nor to and from Aroha’s office and ordinary places of conference/meetings/operational activities, except for authorized official missions, in which case Aroha travel rules apply.
Participants must ensure they have medical insurance valid for Switzerland, as this is not covered by Aroha. Applicants from nationals from outside European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) member countries who are not Swiss residents must provide Aroha with proof that the candidate has obtained a grant of at least CHF 1,600 from a university or other organization for the purpose of the internship.
How to Apply
- Please send your resume (CV) and cover letter explaining your interest and motivation for this vacancy to email@example.com (using the following file name and format: CV_LastName.pdf and CoverLetter_LastName.pdf) by 10 February 2023.
- Kindly indicate your possible start date.
- Lastly, please fill out the following online form.