DCAF – Geneva Center for Security Sector Governance
DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, respect for human rights, and gender equality. Since its founding in 2000, DCAF has contributed to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states, and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF’s Foundation Council members represent over 50 countries and the Canton of Geneva. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information visit www.dcaf.ch and follow us on Twitter @DCAF_Geneva.
The Policy & Research Division (PRDiv) produces empirically grounded and policy-oriented comparative research on global topics relating to security sector governance and reform (SSG/R). This cutting-edge research bridges the gap between policy and practice and is driven by the demand of our national and international partners. As a pioneer in its field, PRDiv has contributed significantly to developing the concept of SSG/R in international policy and discourse. Furthermore, PRDiv also spearheads important policy work with multilateral organisations to enhance the effectiveness and coherence of their support to national and international actors.
For our division, we are looking for a dynamic and highly qualified individual to be our next Programme Manager–Ombuds Institutions (100%)
- Location: Geneva
- Starting date: 1 February 2023 or as soon as possible
- Duration: 24 months fixed-term contract with possibility of extension
Since 2009, DCAF has provided support to ombuds institutions for the armed forces, primarily through the International Conference of Ombuds Institutions for the Armed Forces (ICOAF). Ombuds institutions provide an important oversight function of the armed forces. In receiving and investigating grievances and issuing recommendations, they protect the human rights and fundamental freedoms of armed forces personnel, as well as the local civilian populations they are mandated to protect. By quickly responding to and rectifying grievances, ombuds institutions address one of the main root causes of violent conflict. For this reason, DCAF has placed a very high emphasis on supporting ombuds institutions as part of DCAF’s wider mandate to improve “…the security of states and people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law and respect for human rights.”
Under the supervision of the Head of the Policy and Research Division, the Programme Manager will be responsible for leading DCAF’s long standing programme to support ombuds institutions for the armed forces. The Programme Manager will lead in the organization of ICOAF, and other supporting workshops, training activities, research products and other activities that make up the programme.
Key areas of operation:
- Taking the lead in all phases of the project cycle including design, implementation, evaluation as well as regular reporting to the donor;
- Preparing and organising various events, including the annual ICOAF conference with 100+ participants;
- Communicating with project donors, stakeholders and beneficiaries;
- Managing the finances of the project, including budgeting, financial forecast and financial reporting to donors
- Designing, overseeing and reviewing research related to ombuds institutions;
- Frequent international travel to provide support to project beneficiaries;
- Managing a small team contributing to the project;
- Contributes to divisional and corporate processes, including Results Based Management (RBM) processes, annual work plan and annual reporting.
- A minimum of 7 years professional experience, preferably in working on issues of democratization and good governance of the security sector. Experience of working with ombuds institutions or other security sector oversight institutions will be considered an advantage;
- Extensive experience in results-oriented project management and the development and implementation of policy and research programmes;
- Demonstrated experience organizing large events;
- Experience in managing staff;
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations/security studies, law or a related field;
- Fluency in both English and German, knowledge of French will be considered an advantage.
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please apply online at https://dcaf-flexperso.ch by 7th December 2022, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed or been convicted of any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
Due to the high number of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.