Geneva Sustainability Centre – powered by the IHF
The Geneva Sustainability Centre is seeking to appoint a Director to lead the Centre’s educational programs. This is an exciting role that will suit a self-motivated and highly experienced candidate who wants to generate real impact at the nexus of climate change and healthcare services.
Headquartered with the International Hospital Federation in Switzerland, the Geneva Sustainability Centre’s vision is to equip a global community of hospital leaders with the skills they need to lead their organizations in developing and executing effective responses to climate change. The Centre will support hospital leaders with capacity-building training, executive assessment programmes, and knowledge exchanges around the world. Through this work, the Geneva Sustainability Centre seeks to reduce the healthcare sector’s direct contributions to global carbon emissions and accelerate the transition of hospitals to low-carbon healthcare.
A multi-year funding commitment is in place to establish and grow the Centre, providing a unique opportunity for a program leader to build an exciting portfolio of learning programs supporting a new global initiative at the intersection of climate change and healthcare.
The Director will work closely with the Geneva Sustainability Centre Executive Director to develop and lead a program of executive education that will enable C-suite leaders of Hospitals to deliver programs for net zero, climate resilient and sustainable healthcare.
This position will suit a highly experienced and well-established professional in healthcare leadership development who is passionate about making a real impact in the delivery of sustainable health systems. The postholder will work with a range of stakeholders from across the Geneva Centre’s global community (hospital leaders, clinical executives, academic groups, and non-profit organisations at both national/international levels) to reduce the healthcare sector’s direct contributions to global carbon emissions and to help hospitals on their journey towards a lower carbon future.
The Director role
This position will be expected to develop and manage a portfolio of educational programs geared toward C-suite leaders of Hospitals globally including:
- Establishing the professional, academic and theoretical basis for the programs
- Identifying leadership products to advance the mission of the GSC, for example, masterclasses, simulation training for executives, online courses, other leadership development educational tools.
- Providing research and support to identify potential partners for leadership training for the GSC; for example, exploring relationships with universities engaged in such work already or other NGO organizations which already have online leadership delivery platforms.
- Provide research and support on the current trends in hospital executive leadership.
- Ensuring ongoing evaluation and continuous quality improvement are taking place.
- Developing a model for testing components of the program, in order to further develop the educational components.
- Support the Executive Director to identify funding opportunities and future delivery models.
- Support the Executive Director to ensure the program meets the scale of challenge required to address net zero, climate resilient and sustainable hospitals.
- Form an integral part of the Geneva Sustainability Centre and proactively contribute to the strategic development and success of the Centre.
The Director will be expected to have:
- Significant (15+ year) experience in a senior operational management or a
C-level position, either in a public or private hospital or in a healthcare-related institution, or in leadership development at executive level.
- A minimum of Master’s degree or equivalent in management education, health/business administration, industrial/organizational psychology, or related field.
- Extensive teaching experience either through affiliation with a university or with a formal training programme within a healthcare system. Demonstrated excellence based on course evaluations and/or other third-party recognitions.
- Solid knowledge of sustainability, international healthcare systems, or both.
- Fluency / native in English, with excellent oral and writing skills.
- A service-oriented attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills enabling development of positive relationships across a wide variety of students and stakeholders from highly diverse backgrounds.
You will have the opportunity to join a small but dynamic team to develop an exciting program at the nexus of climate change and health.
Working within the Geneva Sustainability Centre provides a unique opportunity to act in the vibrant Geneva NGO ecosystem and to engage with healthcare leaders across the world. The Director will receive a competitive salary based on experience and skills set.
Applying for the role
This role requires an enthusiastic candidate with excellent leadership development skills, relevant experience in healthcare and sustainability and a ‘can do’ attitude.
If this sounds like you, please apply by sending your application to email@example.com with the subject ‘Application: Director of Learning Programs’, enclosing:
- a cover letter in English describing your motivations and relevant experience for this position (maximum of two pages).
- a concise CV.
The deadline for applications is 16th September 2022
The Geneva Sustainability Centre is committed to fostering an organizational culture which values respect, teamwork, and excellence, and to building a working environment in which all staff are empowered and respected. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required, irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability, or sexual orientation.