ABOUT IMPACT AND REACH
IMPACT Initiatives is a humanitarian think tank, based in Geneva, Switzerland. The organisation manages several initiatives, including the REACH Initiative, which was created in 2010 to facilitate the development of information tools and products that enhance the capacity of aid actors to make evidence-based decisions in emergency, recovery and development contexts. The IMPACT team comprises specialists in research design; data collection, management and analysis; GIS and remote-sensing.
We are currently recruiting for a global Public Health Unit data role at either Senior Officer or Specialist level (depending on experience).
Department: Global Programmes
Position: Data Specialist – Public Health Unit
Contract duration: Open-ended
Location: Geneva, Switzerland with up to 20% of deployment time
Starting Date: October 2023
Under the supervision of IMPACT’s Public Health Unit (PHU) Manager, the Data Specialist is responsible for leading the data work of the PHU and its global programmes related to WASH, Food Security, Nutrition and Health. The position is based in Geneva with travel to remote field locations across all countries of IMPACT’s operation.
- Develop, maintain, and document standard scripts and tools for public health data analysis.
- Support the development of quality data collection toolkits for public health data collection activities aligned with globally recognized approaches and standards.
- Provide training to field teams and HQ staff on internal public health toolkits, including tools, scripts, cleaning processes, data visualisation, etc
- Directly support country teams to implement PHU data cleaning and analysis guidelines through capacity building, mentorship, and technical support.
- Where necessary, surge to other departments (e.g. research) or country teams to support implementation of PHU data practices and guidelines.
- Participate in the Public Health, R, and Data Science Innovation Communities of Practice.
- Support country teams in troubleshooting any data issues with public health partners, providing advice on how to engage partners at country level, and where relevant, joining discussions to provide additional technical support.
- Support the production and dissemination of regional and global public health information products, through tabulating results and producing quality visualizations and maps.
- Advanced quantitative degree in data science, public health, epidemiology, statistics, physics, mathematics, computer science, or related subjected
- Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience
- Proficient with R, particularly the tidyverse (dplyr, tidyr, ggplot2)
- R function writing and/or package development experience is a strong advantage
- Practical experience with working with xlsforms with ODK/Kobo
- Strong experience in data compilation, cleaning, processing, and applied analysis.
- Proven track record of working with and compiling data of varying quality, type, and structure from multiple different sources
- Experience in working with sampling and analysis of complex survey data is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of GIS software (QGIS, ArcGIS, GoogleEarth, etc) and spatial analysis an advantage.
- Prior experience or strong interest in working with DHIS2 is an asset.
- Fluency in English required, competency in French a strong asset