Context & Missions
The management of operational resources is more complex today due to the growth in operational volume over the last 10 years, evolutions in the different operational models and the increasing externalisation of operational support away from Geneva. Furthermore, there are increasing demands to analyse and then optimise the use of resources for field operations; demands are both internal to OCG and are clearly described in our Strategic Plan, or external and the different calls from within the movement during 2019. The Operations Department is responsible for the field budget (CHF 249M) that includes for 2022 an amount of CHF 10.0M for other field activities such as L&D, Flying and Flex Positions. In addition, there is the Operations Department HQ budget that today stands at approximately CHF 6.9M and 60 FTEs. In total this represents 78.4% of the total OCG budget. The MSF entities directly linked to OCG Operations department are Amman, Kampala, Dakar, DPRK, Greece and Mexico.
The missions are to review and then implement processes for the management of resources in non-Geneva operational entities, are the management of the HQ Operations budget, administration and are the optimisation of resources in OCG fields.
Scope of Responsibilities
Focal Point for the management of resources in the non Geneva Operational Entities.
- Is the focal person for all resource issues emanating from these entities, either with the Head of Office or the locally appointed Resource Manager, FinCo, HRCO. S/he provides technical support in terms of financial, HR and administrative management and anticipates problems that entities may have to deal with (policies, procedures, tools).
- Ensures the application of human resources and financial policies and standards and supports entities to adapt it to the specifics of the local context when needed. Ensures that the Risk Analysis is put in place for each entity and ensures the link with the Internal Audit and Risk team in Geneva. In the frame of the PoA cycle, coordinates at HQ level the review of the HR and FIN matrices to objectively challenge the resources allocated to the operational and support entities.
- Keep an overview of the monthly Budget Monitoring Reports.
Operations Department HQ Budget and Administration
- Responsible for the preparation and follow up of the department budgets in close collaboration with the Finance and HR Departments.
- Prepare a monthly report on the operations budget -v- expenditure highlighting excessive variations with analysis and recommendations for improvement.
- Responsible to ensure that all departmental invoices (including MI and occasionally mission) are correctly validated and archived.
- Responsible for the administrative follow up of the department, with specific responsibilities for the Legal Unit in OCG.
- Oversight of the Operations Dashboard to ensure optimal performance and usage, in close collaboration with the IT Department.
- Manage the opening and closing of all department positions ensuring department level archiving.
- Ensure that all members of the department follow the internal regulations and procedures such as leaves of absence, expenses, travel requests.
- Ops Filiere: responsible for the collection of data and information on the Ops Filiere from international staff to locally recruited staff, preparing overviews for the monthly career management meeting.
Focal Point in OCG for Field Resource Optimisation
- Develop detailed mapping of all initiatives in current OCG projects.
- Through analysis of the existing initiatives document the best practices, lessons learnt and ensure that all of this information is available in simple format to all field and HQ staff.
- Identify the internal blockages to further optimization and make proposals to the management team of the practices, tools and processes that need to be changed or adapted.
- Tertiary Degree, preferably in Finance or Management
- MSF Field Experience, preferably in Finance or Admin positions.
- Experience in project management
- Experience in finance and human resources management
Personal Abilities & Skills
- Disciplined, attentive to details and well organised.
- Ability to work autonomously
- Good communications, both oral and written.
- Analytical skills.
- Solid familiarity with MSF tools (UNIFIELD, QView. . . . ) and Excel.
Terms of Employment
- Part-time position 80% (32h/week)
- 3-year term
- Working place : Geneva, with Field Visits
- Ideal start date: ASAP
- Gross annual salary for 80%: from CHF 67’850.- to CHF 78’120.- (salary commensurate with equivalent experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Deadline for application is September 11th, 2022
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.