Médecins sans Frontières Suisse
Internships at MSF are part of an intra- or extra-academic course, or according to federal professional integration measures lien Etat de Genève : engager un-e stagiaire. A tripartite internship agreement is mandatory.
Context & Mission
MSF has a responsibility to ensure that staff are adequately prepared before going on field assignments and that their health and well-being are adequately supported whilst on mission. This includes preventive and curative mental and physical health care. The Staff Health Unit (SHU) is the focal point within MSF Switzerland for advising on all work-related health issues to MSF staff. The SHU provides technical support to the field in the development, implementation and regular update of health policies created to safeguard the health of all MSF employees.
The intern will support the Staff Health in the delivery of quality support to the health and wellbeing of MSF employees and:
- Learn the mechanics of running a staff health unit in a humanitarian aid organization.
- Learn and/or suggest improvements in good practice in staff health management
- Depending on the intern’s learning ability and his/her background, additional responsibilities and activities may be assigned
- During the internship period and in agreement with the SHU Manager, the intern may identify and work on a specific topic related to her/his academic background, competencies and interest.
- Monitoring the SHU activities is a key component that will inform the team on making decisions, priorities and needed adjustments.
Tasks and responsibilities
In relation to briefings and debriefings
- Ensure that all MSF staff going or coming back to a field mission have access to quality mental health preventative and curative services:
- Dispatching and follow-up of briefings and debriefings of international and mobile staff, to the OCG SHU psychologist or to the external consultants according to the defined criteria.
Monitoring of the SHU activities
- Support developing and maintaining a monitoring system to keep track the SHU activities (numbers of briefings/debriefings/referrals for support and other activities).
- Support the SHU in the gradual uploading of information of its data base.
- Ensure that fitness certificates of staff going to the field are transferred to the pertinent person in the Administration team, or duly filled in the SHU data base (data base under development).
- In charge of invoices follow-up from external consultants and other service providers, linking with the Accounting Unit.
- Provide support to the SHU whenever needed, in order to arrange medical or psychological appointments for MSF staff who need medical care, when pertinent.
- Support the unit with the diffusion/uploading of updated documents into the knowledge management platform.
- Internal communications upon delegation of the SHU Manager
- Participate in the weekly team meetings.
- Participate in other MSF internal meetings – workshops, webinars, according on pertinence and availability/workload.
- According the needs and competencies of the intern identified, Field Visit can be organized with adequate mentoring or in “binome” with a senior staff.
- Accompany SHU Officers / Manager in external meetings with other relevant stakeholders based in Geneva.
- Have a tripartite internship agreement
- Tertiary degree in Management and Administration, Management of Health Services or equivalent.
- Advanced studies in Clinical Psychology, an asset
- Experience in statistics or data management, an asset
- Planning and organizational skills
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office environment
- Knowledge of key issues of the humanitarian environment
- Fluent in French and English (oral and written)
- Excellent ability to succesfully work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate commitment and support for diversity, gender-responsive, inclusive, and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- Cultural sensitivity
- Flexible and approachable
- Open listening, high empathy capacity
- Proactive and solution oriented.
- High degree of discretion and respect of confidentiality
Terms of employment
- A tripartite internship agreement is mandatory
- 6 to 12 months, according to internship agreement
- Full time (40h/week)
- Based in Geneva
- Start date : Mid-January 2024
- Gross monthly remuneration 2'000.- CHF
Please send a CV (2 pages maximum) and a cover letter (1 page maximum).
Closing date for applications December 10th, 2023.
We reserve the right to close the position early if we consider the number and quality of applications received to be sufficient.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Only applications submitted on our recruitment platforms will be considered.
Please note that we do not wish to use the services of recruitment or placement agencies.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, ethnicities, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.