Epicentre by Médecins sans Frontières
Epicentre is an organisation created by Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in 1986. We conduct field epidemiology, training and research activities for MSF interventions. Our activities for populations in precarious situations are led from Uganda, Niger, and France, and through the programs of MSF and others.
Based in Médecins Sans Frontières' Geneva Operations Center (OCG), under the supervision of Epicentre's Director of Response Epidemiology and Training, the epidemiologist will be integrated into the OCG field epidemiology support team. As such, he/she will act as a link between medical and operations departments in OCG and Epicentre. Within the field epidemiological support team, the epidemiologist will provide expertise in mixed approaches combining quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Assist Médecins Sans Frontières’ field teams in the monitoring and evaluation of health
- Participate in Epicentre’s activities and interventions related to field epidemiology and
- Be responsible for the development and management of research projects, conducted with OCG.
MISSION & RESPONSABILITIES
Epidemiologists employed at Epicentre are involved in the following activities:
In the scope of one or several defined research domains, they will:
- Identify relevant research issues, review the literature on the subject, and translate them into research questions.
- Establish and follow the annual research agenda of OCG in collaboration with Epicentre’s General Director, Director of Clinical Research and Director of Intervention Epidemiology and Training, and the medical and operational departments of the different MSF sections.
- Develop and write research
- Organise and conduct studies in the
- Clean, organise and analyse data
- Write study
- Communicate results through presentations at scientific conferences and in publication in the scientific literature.
- Participate in meetings of experts at international
- Develop and maintain a network of relevant
2- APPLIED EPIDEMIOLOGY
- Carry out regularly in the field short-term (1 to 4 weeks) applied epidemiology missions. These missions include surveys, outbreak investigations, rapid health assessments during emergency situations, implementation and evaluation of epidemiological surveillance systems, evaluation of health programs.
- Write the mission reports in brief delays and publish the results in the scientific literature when relevant.
- Teach epidemiology and public health during training sessions organized either in Geneva or abroad.
- Assist the Médecins Sans Frontières field teams in the monitoring of health programs or other relevant epidemiological interventions.
- Participate in training
3- PARTICIPATION IN EPICENTRE’S GENERAL OPERATING
- Participate to the exchange of information and know-how within Epicentre: organisation of seminars, coaching of students, international communications.
- Participate to the development of the organization, in collaboration with the General Director and the Director of Administration and Operational Support and submit research proposals for eventual funding.
- At least 3 years relevant working experience with MSF and/or another NGO experience and/or in low-income countries.
- Degree in epidemiology or public
- Mixed methods background – epidemiology with some qualitative skills.
- Proven record of designing, implementing, and finalizing mixed-methods studies including publications.
- At least 3-5 years experience in operational research and/or experience in applied
- Fluent in English with working knowledge in French. Knowledge in Spanish or Portuguese would be an
- Good communication skills, both in speech and
- Willing to travel 2 to 6 months in the year, sometimes at short
- Medical or paramedical profile would be an asset.
- This position is based in Geneva and is expected to start in January 2024 with an Open Ended Contract.
- The salary will be commensurate with experience in line with the Epicentre/MSF salary scale.
- Activity rate : 100%
- Applications should be made before November 30th, 2023, by completing the form available at the following link
- Please send your application (CV + motivation letter) before the 30th of November 2023.
- Only shortlisted applications will be contacted.
- In case we have received sufficient qualified applications, we may stop the publication of the offer before the 30th of November 2023.
Epicentre is committed to the protection of the personal data of its members, employees and people wishing to join the association. The data collected during this application will be strictly transmitted, for fair and quality treatment, to the people involved in the recruitment process, regardless of the location of the Epicentre structure to which they belong.