Médecins sans Frontières Suisse
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent humanitarian organization providing medical aid to victims of man-made or natural disasters, armed conflicts, epidemics and endemics. Its Operational Centre in Geneva (MSF OCG) manages medical assistance programs in 30 countries for a total staff of over 9000 people.
The Learning and Development (L&D) unit analyses the needs, defines and implements strategies, mechanisms and tools to increase the knowledge, skills and know-how of staff, in accordance with the objectives, values and the choices made by the organisation. The aim is to ensure that the global workforce has access to solutions to develop their skills, grow in their field of competence and performs in their best possible way in their roles.
The ambition of the organisation is to provide Learning and Development opportunities to our global workforce, through learning solutions and development strategies.
The L&D Transversal Learning Partner contributes to designing and implementing the global L&D strategy, and is the privileged contact for learning solutions that are transversal and applicable to all departments or Units of the organization, at field and HQ (headquarters) level.
The main mission is:
- To develop and consolidate a learning strategy that addresses the main transversal needs of the organization and its people, aligned with the L&D goals.
- To collect the needs from the missions (countries) or departments on transversal issues (see non exhaustive list below).
- To propose and design (or co-design) learning approaches, structures and solutions to respond to the needs identified.
- To serve as advisor on transversal learning issues working closely with the SME’s, and key stakeholders.
- To guide and accompany the departments/units/missions/teams in the design and implementation of transversal learning and development activities.
- To build capacity, both locally and globally, related to transversal learnings and facilitation skills and competencies.
- To nurture and strengthen the collaboration between MSF sections in order to consolidate the learning culture and network.
- To manage a team of flying trainers and build a network of facilitators, to ensure development, deployment and follow up of the different solutions.
Some transversal learning activities and /or projects:
- New-Staff Induction Program: Welcome to MSF and Life in Mission
- Training of Facilitators and Trainers
- Onboarding: structure, concept and general guidelines
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion
- Planetary Health
- Duty of Care
- Responsible Behaviours
- Others HQ/GD topics and needed and according to the evolution of MSF
- Co-design of L&D strategy for the thematic and identify the corresponding learning solutions, aligned with the needs of missions, operations and departments.
- Position/organise all learning solutions into a learning structure (path)
- Accompany the unit / department in adapting their own L&D set up and strategy as needed
- Budget and HR resources planning, preparation and monitoring for all transversal thematics.
- Coordinate the Intersectional Welcome Induction Network
- Take part to OCG L&D Platform and contribute to the overall L&D strategy.
- Engage with project sponsor/stakeholders (SME, technical referents) to ensure proper development of learning solutions to answer needs.
- Ensure effective interactions and working relations with the learning officers and other L&D members; interact as required with the hubs.
- In collaboration with SME/technical referents, design adapted learning solutions using a range of delivery methods including e-learning, webinar, digital classroom-based delivery, on the job training and video learning.
- Liaise with mission’s focal point to ensure consistency of learning solutions deployment / implementation, in collaboration with the deployment Manager of Geneva L&D Unit, and when necessary with MSF regional Hubs (Kampala, Amman, Dakar)
- When necessary, supervise and/or co-facilitate the implementation of first-time learning programs.
- Create deployment / implementation monitoring and evaluation tools (metrics and mechanisms).
- Hierarchical management of trainers (Flex/flying) and Learning Officers implementing transversal activities.
- Ensure the management, support and development of the transversal learning team to guarantee wellbeing and positive outcomes.
Specific activities link to the L&D
- Actively participating to the development of the L&D unit including, global L&D strategy, tools, transversal folders, working groups and community of practices.
- Contribute to consolidating the L&D team spirit and promote effective and empowering group dynamics.
- Advise and support the team in their development and strengthening of facilitation skills.
Education & Experience
- Proven strong knowledge of Experiential/Adult Education, Facilitation, and Organizational Development, whether through a minimum of 7 years of experiences or master’s degree plus 4 years of experience.
- Previous experience with MSF highly recommended.
- Design and development of learning programs in multiples modalities: face to face and blended learning.
- Working and consulting with internal partners at HQ
- and in the field.
- People management.
- Leadership positions
- Budget management
- Field experience a great asset.
- Excellent command of English and French, both written and spoken required.
- A third language, either Spanish or Arabic, a great value.
- Strong level of professionalism, presence and credibility.
- able to effectively challenge and influence peers and internal partners.
- Sense of initiative
- Cultural awareness and adaptability
- Attentive listener (and able to react accordingly)
Skills/ Technical competencies
- Instructional design – face-to-face, virtual, blended.
- Training and facilitation.
- Experiential Education/adult education
- Capacities to promote and integrate Adult learning principles at strategic and implementation levels
- Strong consulting capability with good interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Facilitation: face-to-face, virtual, blended.
- Virtual learning design.
- Negotiation and effective communication
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Terms of Employment
- Full-time position 100% (40h/week)
- Open-ended contract
- Working place : Geneva (with occasional travels to the field)
- Ideal start date: As Soon As Possible
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 91’663.- to CHF 105’179.- (salary commensurate with equivalent experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Deadline for application is February 5th, 2023. Nevertheless, we reserve the right to close the position early if we consider the number and quality of applications received to be sufficient.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.