Médecins sans Frontières Suisse
Context & Mission
Médecins Sans Frontières is an independent, international medical and humanitarian organization that provides care to people in need, people affected by natural or man-made disasters, and victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and without regard to race, religion, creed or political affiliation (MSF Charter).
OCG has a long history of supporting Medical Technologies and Innovation, as an early adopter of innovation in humanitarian organizations in the early 2000s. It continues to work to leverage medical technology and innovation advances in line with the strategic objectives through a mix of key transformational initiatives, and quick wins that utilise existing tools through acceptable adaption process. Emphasis and focus are placed on field driven initiatives and scalable tools that mirror current OCG ambitions, achieving transparency, proactive communication and prioritisation through a platform based repository for innovations. The current Medical Technologies unit consists of the MTIC, and the Digital Health Advisor, who focuses on projects and challenges in the digital health space.
The MTIC is engaged in strategic and technical development of medical technologies. He/she provides leadership and transversal coordination of experts and implementers involved in medical technologies and innovation. He/she will be also responsible for follow-up of progress, outcomes at different stages of development, and realization of technological tools up to scale-up and assimilation.
The Medical Technology and Innovation Unit will coordinate technological initiatives in 1) medical devices 2) digital health solutions and 3) innovation, the exceptions being drugs and vaccines.
- The MTIC will closely collaborate with OCG biomedical support in logistics, and the appropriate expert advisers (Laboratory, Surgery etc.) for medical device development, and across other departments as needed to bring the expertise required for varied innovation projects to the table.
- The Digital Health Adviser will be under the MTIC and, in close collaboration with the IT department, lead the development of digital health solutions.
Having gone through several restructurings since its conception, the ambitions of the Unit, and the opportunities presented for medical technologies and innovation to facilitate ambitions in humanitarian and medical sectors are increasing. The Medical Technologies and Innovation Coordinator will consider the current structure and strategy of the Unit, and explore potential for improvements which would align with its ambitions. These may involve forming governance platforms in collaboration with other departments to expand both the capacity for work and the thematic range of projects ensuring input of key stakeholders, or include the potential for change in structure.
- Medical / Nursing or other Professions Allied to Health Degree
- Masters’ degree in Global Health Sciences
- Experience of MSF – preferably field and HQ, and of MSF policies and procedures
- At least 5 years-experience in a strategic level position within a medical-humanitarian organization.
- At least 5 years-experience of working in medical technologies or related field, with proven experience of implementation in the field.
- Knowledge of digital health solutions, e-Platform management or similar.
- Knowledge and experience of the design process, user acceptability testing, and evaluation of medical technologies.
- Demonstrated project management capacity
- Previous experience in budget management
Skills/ Technical competencies
- Transversal negotiations skills
- Strong communication skills with a proven ability to explain both the innovation cycle and technical concepts in a simple, clear language appropriate to the audience, or in the form of guidelines, manuals, and protocols.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external stakeholders involved in medical technologies, innovation, and software development.
- Comfortable managing in a flexible, changing and virtual environment, with the ability to adjust direction in response to feedback and the iterative nature of digital health projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Knowledge in French required.
- Proficiency in another language a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
Terms of Employment
- Full-time position 100% (40h/week)
- Open-ended contract
- Working place: Geneva
- Ideal start date: November 1st, 2023
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 109’560.- to CHF 133’272.- (salary commensurate with equivalent experience and internal salary grid)
- Paid vacation: 25 days per year, prorate temporis, plus any Swiss public holidays falling within the contract period.
- Pension plan: pension contribution covered 3/4 by MSF, 1/4 by staff member
- Relocation package if moving from a different country to Switzerland.
How to apply
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in French or English.
Deadline for application is October 15th, 2023.
We reserve the right to close the position early if we consider the number and quality of applications received to be sufficient.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Only applications submitted on our recruitment platforms will be considered.
Please note that we do not wish to use the services of recruitment or placement agencies.
At MSF, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our staff members. We strive to create workplaces where teams of people with diverse backgrounds, characteristics, perspectives, ideas and experiences work together for the social mission of MSF to create better outcomes for our patients and the communities we work with.
We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, ethnicities, background, religions, beliefs, ability status, and all other diversity characteristics.
MSF does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of discrimination or harassment, including sexual harassment. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo reference checks.