The IUF is an international trade union federation working with its affiliates to organize workers around the world in the food, hospitality, tobacco and agricultural sectors (www.iuf.org). The IUF works with affiliates to increase union membership in sectors and companies and negotiates with major transnational companies (TNCs) to ensure workers have access to their rights, including the right to join and be represented by a trade union.
The IUF is seeking to recruit a Translations Coordinator at 100% starting on October 1st, 2022. The successful candidate will join an administrative team of four staff working together to ensure the Secretariat fulfils its responsibilities towards its members.
Overall tasks include:
- Coordinating the process from translation request to delivery: ensure documents received for translation are clear and ready to be translated (generally from English), format the documents as per the IUF’s practice (file format, templates, layout, etc.), liaise with the team of freelance translators as per availability and deadlines, coordinate with internal administrative team on next steps once the translations are received, update/create glossaries, verify related invoicing, etc.
- Sending weekly mailings and circulars in all official languages through Campaign Monitor
- Responsibility for meeting documents: uploading meeting documents on a Wordpress website in all official languages, overseeing printing and distribution of hard copies when required.
- Working closely in support of policy staff.
- General administrative assistance in support of IUF activities
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates must be native English speakers and have an excellent knowledge of at least one of the other official languages of the IUF (Spanish, French, German and Swedish).
Previous experience of general administrative work would be an advantage. An ability to work constructively within a small team and to adapt to a changing work environment would be an essential part of any successful candidate’s profile.
The following key skills and competences would also be essential: highly organized and capable of working with deadlines, attention to detail and design, very good computer literacy, and interest in languages.
Experience and/ or interest in the labour movement and/or international labour or social organizations would also be an advantage.
Terms and Conditions
The position is based at the IUF's head office in Geneva, Switzerland. All IUF staff are members of the Swiss union UNIA. The salaries and other benefits are governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiated between the elected staff Union Committee and the General Secretary. Details of salary and related benefits will be provided to candidates shortlisted for the position. The IUF is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should forward the following information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2022.
- A current CV;
- A motivation letter;
- The name and contact details of at least one referee